• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3.5L alpine hits the road

Stormbringer

Donation Time
Don't know if anyone else has completed one of these but here are my results. This started as a $300 basket case.
Still lots to do but at least it's drivable!

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    484 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 195

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good looking car, sanitary swap. My swap looked that good about half way through the swap. What is the new engine? Were you able to keep the stock steering?
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I must follow thru like the other Guys.... Nice looking installation.

We will be having lots of questions, hoping you will answer them:)

Pictures are as they say worth a Thousand Words....

Enjoy your Alpine....

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
In your 1st PIC, I can see what looks like a modification of and around the cowling for the radiator. Is that because you had to extend forward to get clearance for the fan/water pump/radiator ??

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The engine is clearly a GM 60-degree V6 and "3.5L" would suggest that it is a LX9. The interesting parts are the distributor and carburetor / manifold because the LX9 was EFI only from the factory.

No sign of the Series Alpine steering system, so there is probably a R&P setup down there somewhere.

Last edited:

Stormbringer

Donation Time
Yes this is an LX9 engine.
Engine cradle and front suspension are fabricated and use miata spindles and a narrowed miata rack.
I fabricated the headers.
DanR, I'm not sure what your are looking at but the radiator is in the stock position. Had to make a support structure for it...maybe that is what you are seeing.
Would rather have not cut the hood but there was no way around it.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 129

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes this is an LX9 engine.
Engine cradle and front suspension are fabricated and use miata spindles and a narrowed miata rack.
I fabricated the headers.
DanR, I'm not sure what your are looking at but the radiator is in the stock position. Had to make a support structure for it...maybe that is what you are seeing.
Would rather have not cut the hood but there was no way around it.
I wish I had 1/2 your skills. Well done sir.

Stormbringer

Donation Time
Fabricated a deck lid in the fashion of the early corvettes. Need to scrounge up some way to weather strip it next. Modified top frame pics coming soon.
Surprisingly, other than alot of rattles it's been pretty trouble free.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 100

alpine_64

Donation Time
Fabricated a deck lid in the fashion of the early corvettes. Need to scrounge up some way to weather strip it next. Modified top frame pics coming soon.
Surprisingly, other than alot of rattles it's been pretty trouble free.
If you are still using the soft top the rear metal retaining strip and body seal for the soft top will likely seal it as it does on a series 3-IV alpine.. Your cover is essentially a 1 peice version of the factory cover in that regards.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The hinges and strut will be in the way of mounting a soft top - if there was any plan of using one.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The hinges and strut will be in the way of mounting a soft top - if there was any plan of using one.
Yup.. Good point ..Would need to pivot forward off the B post.. But you could modify to pivit off the sides where the top doesn't have to seal against the body

Stormbringer

Donation Time
Thanks folks.
The plan for a soft top is similar to the early corvettes. I fab'd up a rear bow which will attach to the lid and top frame. Pink chalk line in second pic shows general contour of the top fabric. Third pic shows how I hope will all stow away.
Will it work?? Who knows, but I had to try it!

Attachments

• IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 43