• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering Wheel Finish

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does anyone know of a brush on/spray on finish for the plastic Alpine steering wheel rim? The one I have is solid with no cracks but is faded and needs sprucing up. I'm afraid that just painting it wouldn't last very long in the Texas heat. I also thought about wrapping it with one of those leather wraps but I like the look of the original wheel finish. Any suggestions?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sand down the oxidation, epoxy primer applied and finish with a black automotive urethane or AE paint.
That's pretty much standard refinishing process.
Jan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't know how it would last on a steering wheel, but Krylon Satin Black looks and works great when applied to the steering column and such. I painted my wheel with it, then covered it with a steering wheel wrap. Looks great.
Bill

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't know how it would last on a steering wheel, but Krylon Satin Black looks and works great when applied to the steering column and such. I painted my wheel with it, then covered it with a steering wheel wrap. Looks great.
Bill

Thanks Bill. I was thinking about a wrap. Appreciate your input.
Rick

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've had really good results using the Rustoleum painters choice semi gloss black.
This is the one with primer and paint in one application.

I usually sand then apply 2-3 coats and then buff it and they come out pretty nicely!
Cheers!
Steve

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
If you decide to do a cover, I got mine from Wheelskins and am very happy with it. It’s great quality. They make them to order based on measurements you provide. It gives the wheel a good, firm feel. I like the thought of no cover...like it came from the factory...but honestly when I tried to drive mine that way it felt like I could snap the wheel in half. I won’t say it felt flimsy...just skinny.

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does anyone know of a brush on/spray on finish for the plastic Alpine steering wheel rim? The one I have is solid with no cracks but is faded and needs sprucing up. I'm afraid that just painting it wouldn't last very long in the Texas heat. I also thought about wrapping it with one of those leather wraps but I like the look of the original wheel finish. Any suggestions?
Great question. I have the same situation. Solid wheel, but faded.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have used India ink on black parts that are not handled very much, such as the column surround. Sand smooth , apply, buff, apply buff until
it looks right, seal w/ a clear top coat. Don't know how it would come out on a steering wheel in terms of reacting to oil and moisture from handling . A little goes a long way in any application.

jfcroni

Donation Time
I sanded mine and shot it with gloss engine black. It looked fine and held up. I later put a leatherskin on the wheel. It looks and feels better than the painted wheel IMHO.20171202_100904.jpg

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you decide to do a cover, I got mine from Wheelskins and am very happy with it. It’s great quality. They make them to order based on measurements you provide. It gives the wheel a good, firm feel. I like the thought of no cover...like it came from the factory...but honestly when I tried to drive mine that way it felt like I could snap the wheel in half. I won’t say it felt flimsy...just skinny.
I saw them online. They look nice.
Can you share the measurements and any other info you used to order yours? I'd like to get the same thing.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I saw them online. They look nice.
Can you share the measurements and any other info you used to order yours? I'd like to get the same thing.
Just pulled up the email. This is what I ordered:
Original One-Color Wheelskins
  • Make: Other
  • Model: Other
  • Year: 1967
  • Size: All (15 1/2 x 2 1/2)
  • Color: Black