• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cam Recommendations

alpine_64

Donation Time
Question, is there a reason for not going to bigger valves?
Dan are you referring to this car in particular or in general for people?

If he has built his motor he may not want to redo the head...

If in general.. As you would know a bigger exhaust valve at least can help the rootes motor.. But most people when modding the motors do multi angle valve grinds.. Porting and Chamber work... Few seem to go bigger valves.. hmmm

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
It just seems there is a lot going on with everything in this thread setup, with the exception of some bigger valves/port work to take advantage of everything else.

Mike snyder

Donation Time
The Compression is 115. The Vissard Mods to the head did lower the compression. I tested it with the spark plugs in the cylinders not being tested. I have no idea what the overlap is like on this cam. Everything inside this engine is new and it only has about 150 miles on it.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, getting back to the question of cams.

Why was the Isky cam Too hot?

No low end?

At this point in MY Alpine engine experience, I'm thinking/hoping the Key to better Alpine performance

is closer lobe center cams....?

Because the stock cams are so wide with the lobe centers, the regrinds are also wide.

I have Not tried a narrow lobe center cam, and Also have Not been happy with the Alpine engine performance.

I'm thinking the cam Dave Anderson is running may be as good as it gets, for power up to 7000 RPM.

And I think the specs are 250 deg @ .050 and 106 lobe centers, I don't remember the lift,

But, strange as it may seem, I think the lift is the least important number here.

(mainly because stockish Alpine valves and ports stop significant flow increases at a very low lift, maybe .375 @ the valve...

also, cams that big have a basic minimum lift, that is MORE than adequate.)

I may add, It's debatable IF a Dual pattern cam (more Ex duration) is worth while here (@250 deg world).

DW

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Also, not All cams of the "same spec" are the same!

I have two cams that are both 250 deg @ .050 duration and the lobe shapes are markedly different.

One has a more pointed lobe than the other.

I'm guessing the pointed lobe cam is more of an old school design (Max LIFT)... ?

DW

Last edited:

Moonstone

Donation Time
Hi Mike, seeing you hail from the west coast, I'm curious where you sourced Hepolite Pistons. We're overhauling my sIV 1592, machinist recommends 30 over... and new cam.