• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Series V Seats

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Ha! My 'upholsterer' is ME.
And, I am the one I gave the C- to. The main area I am unhappy with the the top of the back. I made my own cardboard frames for the back and don't like the way the tops look. It was my first attempt at upholstery and, like many jobs, I think I could do better the next time. And, there will eventually be at least one next time; if I am lucky, more than that.

I put heaters in my seats, too. It is well worth the effort and I will definitely do it for my next seats. I considered a couple of mounting points that were all designed to be hidden, but in the end put them in the flat part on the back of the arm rest. They are black (they look just like the ones Aladin posted) and virtually unnoticeable, if you don't know to look for them. I then made a cover that I epoxied into the console to protect the wires. I lost a couple of inches of console space, but have never noticed the difference.

4AB7DDB2-2DF7-4B14-9E9E-1ACC67476FFD.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
When we had our seats reupholstered, we had them done in cloth. After 100,000 + miles, we do not regret the choice. The seats never got wet and nice, comfy seats with no desire (or need) for heaters. But we are prejudiced, the desire for cloth seats was a major consideration in not using commercial Alpine seat covers.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I wonder if the seat bottoms are not stuck down because of the electric seat elements I had added.

BTW, in this disassembly photo of my original seat you can see the places the factory applied adhesive to the cover (vinyl) and the squab (foam) to achieve that sunken look. This is where I applied it to get a similar appearance.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are a set of the Alpine seats with head rest added by Mr Bill.

A gift to me that will be a nice addition to my '65 SIV as the restoration is completed.

Very nice comfortable feel especially with the head rest. Fits me well at 6'2"

Attachments

• 3819 Seats from Bill Blue    20201006_184317.jpg
    3819 Seats from Bill Blue 20201006_184317.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 56

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
And, I am the one I gave the C- to. The main area I am unhappy with the the top of the back. I made my own cardboard frames for the back and don't like the way the tops look. It was my first attempt at upholstery and, like many jobs, I think I could do better the next time. And, there will eventually be at least one next time; if I am lucky, more than that.

I put heaters in my seats, too. It is well worth the effort and I will definitely do it for my next seats. I considered a couple of mounting points that were all designed to be hidden, but in the end put them in the flat part on the back of the arm rest. They are black (they look just like the ones Aladin posted) and virtually unnoticeable, if you don't know to look for them. I then made a cover that I epoxied into the console to protect the wires. I lost a couple of inches of console space, but have never noticed the difference.

View attachment 22576
Mine actually are under the bottom of the console, so the wires will be between the console and the drive shaft tunnel.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here are a set of the Alpine seats with head rest added by Mr Bill.

A gift to me that will be a nice addition to my '65 SIV as the restoration is completed.

Very nice comfortable feel especially with the head rest. Fits me well at 6'2"

Dan, those are nifty. If you do choose to re-cover them, those headrests would look even better, IMHO, with a cover that matches the seats - i.e. with un-pleated (smooth) sides and pleated centers, giving them a contoured look to match the seat backs.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Mine actually are under the bottom of the console, so the wires will be between the console and the drive shaft tunnel.
I considered putting mine there and cannot remember why I elected to put them where I did. I may not have thought it through, as your way seems a lot better.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I considered putting mine there and cannot remember why I elected to put them where I did. I may not have thought it through, as your way seems a lot better.
I have not tried fitting the console back into the car, so "better" remains to be seen.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, those are nifty. If you do choose to re-cover them, those headrests would look even better, IMHO, with a cover that matches the seats - i.e. with un-pleated (smooth) sides and pleated centers, giving them a contoured look to match the seat backs.
How close of a match do you like? Those headrests are covered with the same cloth as the seats.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
You missunderstood the usage of kit. You have to order the various parts you need, seat foams, covers, etc.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does the kit come with the foam and everything? You just need the metal frames?

Smash, If you call Curt at Classic Sunbeam or Rick at Sunbeam Specialties just ask them for advice as to what you need, they will work with you and not RIP you off.

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
Smash, If you call Curt at Classic Sunbeam or Rick at Sunbeam Specialties just ask them for advice as to what you need, they will work with you and not RIP you off.

That's the plan! I took a look at the ss Catalog and it is more clear now. But first I need to source a driver side seat since my car is missing it

jfcroni

Donation Time
Does the kit come with the foam and everything? You just need the metal frames?
Yes, I ordered the kit with new foam and rubber webbing (below foam). Do one seat at a time to be sure you have a reference of how things go back together.

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
[QUOTE
But first I need to source a driver side seat since my car is missing it

][/QUOTE]

I have one available in Florida.

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
I just checked the seat. It is a passenger seat that was installed on the driver's side when I bought my Alpine. Sorry!

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Although Rick may only sell black, I would imagine that Martha Wheat at ProPrep will make you any color and texture you like.

In researching interior/exterior color combos, the interior color for a Midnight Blue exterior is said to be Azure Blue. Does anyone have a sample of what Azure Blue looks like? Is it similar to Powder Blue or is it darker? Any help will be appreciated.

Rick

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a whole seat in Azure blue in my spares stocks. Not sure now how I ended up with it, but there you are.

Oh, and Rick it's kind of a grey-blue... at least that's how I see it.

Last edited: