• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine vs. MGB - Miata vs. MR2 Spyder

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Admittedly it was mostly happenstance that I ended up with an Alpine. I was 15 at the time, and my dad was buying the car for himself, which would later become mine. At the time, I preferred the TR4 and the MGA, and definitely liked the MGB. But it was an Alpine that was the right condition and the right price.

Fast forward 40 years, and I've driven a lot of Alpines and MGs and Triumphs over the years. I know now that I absolutely prefer the feel of the Alpine over the MGB. I don't know if it was because I started with the Alpine, or if I would have liked the Alpine better than the MGB if I started with both equally.

If I were to identify why I like the Alpine over the MGB, I'd say its is the feel. To me, the Alpine feels better quality, more solid, and the engine and exhaust sound are more velvety yet sporty sounding. To me, the MGB feels gruffer, but not in a good way. Sure that more solid feel of the Alpine can be all the Husky metal underneath. But it still feels better.

As to the others after I've driven them, the TR4 just doesn't cut it. The MGA is similar to the B but with less power, and seems so much more fragile. I do like the TR3s very much - but that's because they feel like the Alpine to me.

So now my point. The masses mostly prefer the MGB, I prefer the Alpine. The masses mostly prefer the Miata. I prefer the MR2 Spyder. If anything, it is for the same reasons. The MR2 feels more solid and sporty yet smooth like the Alpine, whereas the Miata is gruffer but in a tinnier, unrefined, not particularly pleasant way.

I'm wondering if other Alpine owners have the same preference between the Miata and the MR2.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Everyone should own an MX5/Miata at least once in their lifetime.

Love my S1 but for sheer driving pleasure cant top the Mazda, as to comparing Miata/MR2, cant comment.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Do I win :) Best of both worlds, Miata powered Alpine. The looks and feel of the Alpine and the power of a Miata.
IMG_3842-X3.jpg

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
I totally agree with what John said. I’m not after any prizes and its no where near as beautiful as that but I’ve just not long finished my project and I absolutely love it. It’s from 1995 1.8 Miata. 128 HP is more than enough now
upload_2021-3-2_19-35-28.jpeg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I totally agree with what John said. I’m not after any prizes and its no where near as beautiful as that but I’ve just not long finished my project and I absolutely love it. It’s from 1995 1.8 Miata. 128 HP is more than enough now
View attachment 22431
Could you tell about the installation process? I've read the 1800 is bigger than the 1600 and much more difficult to install. In fact, most folks that have considered the installation decided to pass.

Bill

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jay, I knew a lady from the 90's that had a reputation for getting around, and she drove an MR2, otherwise, I have no knowledge of either the Miata or MR2.

Your critique of the MGB and TR4 vs a Sunbeam I find of particular interest.

My experience with an MGB is similar, with "gruffer" being an apt description.

I've been considering going down the TR4 road practically my whole life. There's a fairly nice looking "project" for sale right now in
GA. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/eatonton-1965-tr4/7281898375.html . A TR4 would be quite a turn, at least for me. Your description of "just doesn't cut it" has been sinking in since I read that.

Those two Miata engine photos above are both nice, but going from Toyanvil's Miata engine photo to watisit's below reminds me of Bruce Willis' dream in the movie Pulp Fiction where everything is nice, but then when he wakes up, it's "plain." (Assuming that car actually exist, and not some sort of photo shop joke, like some on this web site aren't exactly unknown for.)

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I find the alpines to be much roomier than an equivalent MG or Triumph. That is important for someone my size. As for the miata, mr2 question. I have only ever attempted to sit in a miata once. It was so tight all around me, that driving would have been out of the question. No experience with the toyota.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Deb and I drive a 2016 Mazda 3, two liter DOHC four cyl, six-speed manual transmission. If that motor would fit in an alpine, it is a thing of beauty: smooth, rev-happy power and forty-three MPG! Perhaps it could be paired with a Toyota six-speed. I kinda liked the styling of the TR-4A and the MGA "Magnette", but I think that the series V alpine is a better car.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Deb and I drive a 2016 Mazda 3, two liter DOHC four cyl, six-speed manual transmission. If that motor would fit in an alpine, it is a thing of beauty: smooth, rev-happy power and forty-three MPG! Perhaps it could be paired with a Toyota six-speed. I kinda liked the styling of the TR-4A and the MGA "Magnette", but I think that the series V alpine is a better car.

Shannon,

I doubt the Toyota trans would fit your engine. OTOH, I suspect a Miata trans might fit. I have no idea about if/how the total package might fit an Alpine. If you wanted to try that project, I think it would be the first direct injection engine transplanted into an Alpine.

Just a thought,

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Shannon, is the 2016 Miata engine a Duratec? If so, it will fit, I have a 2.5 version of the Ford Duratec.
Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Shannon, is the 2016 Miata engine a Duratec? If so, it will fit, I have a 2.5 version of the Ford Duratec.
Bill

Bill,

With this quote from Wikipedia, I suspect Shannon's engine is the next generation of the Duratec design. I didn't find a specific mention of its bellhousing pattern.

In 2011, Mazda ceased to develop the L-engine and replaced it with the SkyActiv-G engine - an extensively revised evolution of the Mazda L-engine. At this time, Ford will be the only manufacturer still using the Mazda L-engine design.

albeam

Donation Time
hi all,

i have a sunbeam that i have and cherished for 44 years. its is a "raw" driving experience compared to whats about now and i love it!
i also have 2003 nb mazda mx5 and it also is a beautiful drive. 40 years of advancement make a big difference. i took a familiar corner recently
in the sunbeam at a pace i probably should not have, but we both hung in there.

albeam

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm fortunate to have every Series Alpine along with a Tiger as well as the NA (1991) and NB (2002 SE) models of the Miata. I only drove my sisters 1962 MG coupe back in the '60s and can't really compare MGs or TRs. My "seat of the pants" experience replicates yours albeam. However, the Tiger gives me the most exhilaration with "I have a lot of power but whoa it is tough in the corners" and the wish that I had better braking. All Alpines including my Harrington Le Mans (HLM) provide a comfortable "English sports car" experience I truly enjoy. Especially when the sun is out and the top is down (except with the HLM). All that being said, the Miatas, where the Japanese engineers took on the development of a modern "English sports car", is my favorite. I feel a very protected feeling with the acceleration and cornering ability. The Miata never gives me a "whoa, I better limit myself." I will also add the NB seats (2000-2005) are the best and will be included in my 1967 Lyrad GT project using a Series I Alpine platform, Lotus 19 front section, Jaguar engine /trans and a 1994 Miata suspension with Torsen LSD rear end. Based on the great projects shown above with 1.8L Miata engines in an Alpine a vision has formed. I do have a spare 1994 1.8l Miata engine and transmission. Mmm another project for a perfect and stripped Series IV body I have. What an outlandish thought as I have two important projects already.

Last edited:

albeam

Donation Time
very good jdoclogan "seat of the pants " is the best way to explain it. your above comments summarise this subject very well. you must have a very understanding partner to have that collection of lovely cars and plenty of a room. enjoy them!

albeam