• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Metal in SS Dash Pad?

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Everybody,

I am reinstalling the Lift the Dot posts on my SV dash to accommodate a tonneau cover. I am very glad I waited until installed the whole dash, wiring, etc before attempting this. ;-)

Armed with an awl, I located the original post holes by way of underdash contortionism. When I attempted to push the awl through the hole, it seems there's a metal core to the Sunbeam Specialties crash pad.

Can anybody verify this?

Thanks in advance.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just did mine and yes there is. I ended up drilling a hole from the top of the metal dash through the metal underneath it. Then when the dash is on I ran a drill up through the two holes into the pad. Just make sure your drill is straight when drilling the hole down. Do you have the windscreen out? I did all of that with everything out from under the dash which simplifies it greatly.

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
Unfortunately, my car is assembled, windshield and all. I'm going to see if I can get a drill bit in the hole from the underside.

I just did mine and yes there is. I ended up drilling a hole from the top of the metal dash through the metal underneath it. Then when the dash is on I ran a drill up through the two holes into the pad. Just make sure your drill is straight when drilling the hole down. Do you have the windscreen out? I did all of that with everything out from under the dash which simplifies it greatly.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom-I don’t think they are accessible from the bottom. Had the same issue with a previous SV that didn’t have the LTD post, tried to use an awl from the top with little luck. If there is an exact measurement to the holes you might get close but you don’t want to ruin your pad in the process.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
It will be very difficult to get this correctly located with the windscreen in place. Why not put tonneau fixings in the central vent mounts and stitch an extension tab onto the tonneau. In the future when you have to remove the screen or do some other work there you can drill the holes then? Some Alpine tonneaus were fitted as standard with the pegs in the vent holes.

Tim R

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Try a right angle drill attachment. It should get you close enough with the windshield in.