• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3/IV GT Bonnet (Hood) Insulation

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The Series 3 GT and Series IV GT up to B9404728 were fitted with a black padded cloth noise insulation quilt (part #2223898) inside the bonnet, held in place by a wire grid (#2223890) secured to the bonnet by six clips (#9130077) wedged in the gap between the frame and the underneath of the bonnet skin panel. The grid has a large cut out in it to fit around the batwing air filter assembly fitted on early S3s with the Zenith carbs and the quilt also has a cut out for the same purpose.

Not many GTs, in the UK at least, seem to retain these fittings and the one that should have been on my S3 was missing. I have found a tatty bonnet from a IV GT, complete with the grid and quilt, but the grid is rusty and the quilt stained. Unfortunately, the clips are tightly fitted and also very brittle with rust and the first two I tried to remove immediately snapped in half. I don't want to risk breaking any more, so before going any further, I wondered if anybody on this site has some spare clips that they would be prepared to sell me and mail to the UK please?

As I said, the quilt is badly rust stained and is unusable anyway, because it was from a IV GT and the cut out for the air filter is a smaller one intended to fit around the Solex filter rather than the bigger Zenith one on my car. Could anyone suggest a heat resistant black cloth that would be suitable to have a replica made and also what the padding ought to be? Many thanks.

Steve

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I would think you could go to the wrecking yard and find a Land Rover or other larger vehicle and get that insulation from under the bonnet then use yours for a pattern to make your own. As far as clips go you might try Jim DiMico ( not sure about the spelling ) he's Virginia USA.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Steve,

Many years ago paul scofield ( now passed away) restored his and iirc had found or was in a discussion about a source for the clips.. Youd need to search the archive of the original forum.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have an early SIV GT BW35 9400766 I saved from the scrap yard 40 years ago. Almost didn't though be cause of the rust and parts that were also damaged beyond what I thought then was recoverable.

I made a "copy" of the metal piece that was designed to retain the cloth insulation. Had a duplicate made of the cloth pad even though it too was very soiled and had become to the point it was coming apart. My upholster destroyed it after making the new one much to my dislike. I would have retained it for future reference....

The clips were as you say very rusty, however I was able to recover a few. I found a few more at the United in Virginia a couple years ago.

In my restoration for the GT I will be attempting to find more of the clips and I will make another metal bracket and cloth padded insulation for my hood. My upholster utilized a fire retardant cloth for the one in my Blue Boy so I will do that for the BW 35 GT.

ALC 68A

Donation Time

Hello Dan and thanks for the helpful information. I contacted Jeff Howarth, who is on this site and keeps a stock of 2nd hand parts in the UK. He only had two spare clips, which he is sending me, but helpfully found that a company in the UK named Bresco, which sells a wide range of small bits and pieces for classic cars, stocks a clip that looks like it will do the job. They are called S clips and come in a range of sizes. I've ordered a packet of the size that Jeff recommended, which contains 30 items. Therefore, provided they match the originals that he is mailing me, I will have a lot spare and could send them to you, if you like. Replacing the cloth quilt is another issue that I have yet to resolve. Although the original is rust stained and dirty, it's still in one piece, so I'm wondering if it might clean up sufficiently with a good soak in soapy water. I could then enlarge the air filter cut out to match the larger Zenith batwing filter that's on my car and restitch it. However, I don't know whether that would damage the cloth's (presumed) heat resistant properties or whatever is used as the stuffing. Do you happen to know what it's made of please?

Keeping the automatic Alpine for 40 years as a restoration project is impressive dedication!

Regards

Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I remember it having a cotton fill ? My cloth was also stained but it was also very easily torn due to age.

If you attempt to wash, it may come apart or the "fill" may lump up. Could you just spray the cloth with a fabricate paint? I thought of that before mine started coming apart.

I'm certainly interested in some of the clips for you can spare!

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hello Dan and thanks for the helpful information. I contacted Jeff Howarth, who is on this site and keeps a stock of 2nd hand parts in the UK. He only had two spare clips, which he is sending me, but helpfully found that a company in the UK named Bresco, which sells a wide range of small bits and pieces for classic cars, stocks a clip that looks like it will do the job. They are called S clips and come in a range of sizes. I've ordered a packet of the size that Jeff recommended, which contains 30 items. Therefore, provided they match the originals that he is mailing me, I will have a lot spare and could send them to you, if you like. Replacing the cloth quilt is another issue that I have yet to resolve. Although the original is rust stained and dirty, it's still in one piece, so I'm wondering if it might clean up sufficiently with a good soak in soapy water. I could then enlarge the air filter cut out to match the larger Zenith batwing filter that's on my car and restitch it. However, I don't know whether that would damage the cloth's (presumed) heat resistant properties or whatever is used as the stuffing. Do you happen to know what it's made of please?

Keeping the automatic Alpine for 40 years as a restoration project is impressive dedication!

Regards

Steve
Steve,
I'm also restoring a S3 GT that has the hood insulation and need the retainer clips. I went on the site and there are many to choose from.
Could you post the part number you purchased so I could order a package.
Thanks,
Bob

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Question for the GT owners with hood insulation in place: Does it make a noticeable difference in perceived engine noise?

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a 63 S3-GT and didnt even know some came with insulation ;-)
I wouldn't want any less engine noise anyways.. Sounds great as is.

50156195181_6a9309b8f6_b.jpg

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
"Try oxalic acid for rust stain removal, pretty awesome stuff."

Thanks.. Havent tried anything harsher than soap and water so far..

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Question for the GT owners with hood insulation in place: Does it make a noticeable difference in perceived engine noise?
Rootes, It is my opinion there is a reduction in engine noise as well as heat on the metal hood.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes Barkeeper's does but it's not the full blown wood concrete fiberglass and gel coat rust stain remover. It's diluted and sold at Home Depot in other cleaners but it's the active ingredient.
It's real rubber glove stuff.