• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New HArrington boot scripts

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver,

yes, I'm sleeping extremely well and will rebuild the HLM my way - same as Bob does. It's gonna be widely original but there will be personal improvements over originality based on the know how which I accumulated in over 30 years of Sunbeaming. Not interested in "Garage Queens" but my cars are driven hard on the roads all over EU and have to be reliable. Would never put Zetec engine or Mazda seats so nothing to worry about. Tigers are simply great cars - try one ...

Bernd! I was pulling your leg!! Do it anyway you want! You are bringing a Harrington back to life with your hard earned money and time. This site is so straight faced and everyone thinks someone is saying they are doing it better. (Secretly we all are) ;) But we can have some fun with our friends. Especially ones we respect. See you at spares day. ( Just don't glue on your badges, or I won't talk to you again:p)

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
All fine! Let's keep it at that. See you over there. Bring the HA . It will look great in front of new archive :)

Buell

Donation Time
Limey, I have a Harrington. I'd be very interested in a Harrington boot script. Are the ones that you are having made all spoken for? My car is a series "D," as such it has no external "Harrington" identifiers. I'm not positive I'd drill holes in the fiberglass and install this, but I've always wanted something on the outside of the car that said Harringon. Best Regards, Buell

Limey

Donation Time
Tigers are simply great cars - try one ...[/QUOTE]

I don't think they are, infact Alpines aren't great cars to start with (but I love the look). A Tiger is an Alpine (without fins sadly..) with a V8 dropped in.

The only good one is Jan Igboms V8 Harrington.However I do respect yours or anybody elses preferences.

For $80,000 I could get an Aston Martin, an E type or a Facel Vega. All of them many times a better and more handsome car than a Tiger. That's only my opinion and I acknowledge that it has no more validity than anybody elses opinion.

However, having spent £50,000++ and 2000hrs on my Harrington I am very obviously no way qualified to advise anyone how to spend their money or time 'wisely'. o_O 'love is in the eye of the beholder'

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Buell

Nearly there

Cut in Brass with 5 axis water cutting to get the sloped sides. Studs are now in place. I just have to hand form each one to the boots curve and prep the surfaces before sending the Derby Plating. (DP are the best in the UK and have chromed some Pebble Beach winners) Real 'Old Skool'

Attachments

• IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 40

Limey

Donation Time
Beautifully done oliver, really great attention to detail.

Thanks Michael!

Here's a picture of a finished one in situ. I have 20 blanks but I'll have 5 or 10 chromed depending on interest. If anyone wants one just drop me a line

I estimate $150 each + postage depending on numbers ordered.

oliver@rocketmail.co.uk

Cheers

Oliver

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 33

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks Michael!

Here's a picture of a finished one in situ. I have 20 blanks but I'll have 5 or 10 chromed depending on interest. If anyone wants one just drop me a line

I estimate $150 each + postage depending on numbers ordered.

oliver@rocketmail.co.uk

Cheers

Oliver
Oliver,
Was this script used on all Harrington Alpines or was it selective?

Limey

Donation Time
Just HA's I believe. LM's, definitely not. I'm not sure about C's and D's though but I don't think so.

It's a pretty niche market for these...

65beam

Donation Time
Just HA's I believe. LM's, definitely not. I'm not sure about C's and D's though but I don't think so.

It's a pretty niche market for these...
With the Harrington Alpine conversion being ordered by owners thru an authorized dealer for Harrington versus the LeMans which was commissioned by Rootes and sold only by dealers just as an Alpine was you wonder how much variance owners could get to their Harrington Alpine conversion.

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
I know of one HA supplied new with complete white leather interior. Mine has one of only 2 cantilever trunk lids. It also has a Le Mans interior rear seats/folding back seat configuration. I imagine there are a fair few variants including the rare wide trans tunnel console with built in speakers. Jan Igbom has all the details

65beam

Donation Time
I know of one HA supplied new with complete white leather interior. Mine has one of only 2 cantilever trunk lids. It also has a Le Mans interior rear seats/folding back seat configuration. I imagine there are a fair few variants including the rare wide trans tunnel console with built in speakers. Jan Igbom has all the details
I remember seeing photos of your trunk lid. Do you have photos of the back seat area of your car?

cdk84

Donation Time
something to consider:

the Tiger never would have existed without the Alpine

the Alpine would have happened either way

there is room for Both to be extraordinary ( They are each exceptional. The only detriment between them is comparison, because it would ask one to be either less than or better than the other, when in fact they are both incomparable in their own right, on their own merits. )

and besides, since the King granted us Independence, don't you think the Brits deserve at least One, Proper muscle car they can call their very own?

Limey

Donation Time
How about the V8 TVR that in the 60's was (and still is) known as the Cobra Killer. AND it can go around corners ;-)

alpine_64

Donation Time
How about the V8 TVR that in the 60's was (and still is) known as the Cobra Killer. AND it can go around corners ;-)
Now Oliver.... Are you referring to the Griffith? In period that was known as an owner killer as well...

While Mike Jordan has done a great job of piloting that heavily developed one round goodwood the last few years in period the very short wheel base and lightweight made it a very quick car...but handling... Always known aa skittish... It probably oversteered more than a Tiger understeered!

I'd have to look it up...but I'd hazard a guess the Tiger had more top line results in SCCA and FIA events than the "Grif"

cdk84

Donation Time
Oliver, Mike,

Oliver is absolutely correct to offer the Griffith as a performance alternative to the Tiger. Mike is right, too: they didn't handle much, if any, better than the Tiger.

If, however, I had said. "since the King granted us Independence, don't you think the Brits deserve at least One, Proper Attractive muscle car they can call their very own?" there would have been no debate.

( Don't wish to step on anyone's toes here, but the Griffith isn't the most attractive crayon in the pack, is it? )

cdk84

Donation Time
Oliver,

As to your comment above, namely "I imagine there are a fair few [Harrington] variants."

Jan knows better than any of us, but I believe Thomas Harrington, Ltd would essentially do what was asked of them, particularly on the Harrington Alpines, many if not most of which were bespoke.

I still am shocked to think that a fully kitted-out Harrington was more expensive than an E Type. They are such different driving experiences...