• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Fender Clearance

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Folks,

I have been doing some work on my SV Alpine as of late.

I had the rear end rebuilt to include a Gripper LSD and new leaf spring from Dale Akuszewski. I removed the next to the last leaf in accordance with his instructions. I didn't do any ride height measurements but I am pretty sure this new setup has lowered the rear slightly.

The car has 13x6 Minilites with 175/70/13 tires.

I am now getting some tire to rear fender rubbing on the right side when going over bumps. I used a flat strip of aluminum held against the tire to gauge where the tire might hit the fender lip and I found a difference from left side to right. It appears the rear end is shifted to the right side about 7/8 of an inch! The fender lips appear factory and I don't think the car has ever been hit

I loosened up the u-bolts and verified the rear end was properly seated on the pins in the springs.

I am not certain aligning the rear end based on the fender lips is a good approach. So . . .

1. Has anyone noticed this apparent misalignment before?
2. Whats the best way to establish the center line of the car?
3. Is there a process to align the rear end?

Thanks in Advance,

Tom Hill