• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater motor housing

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi,

Looking to see if anyone has an old spare housing from a Smiths heater motor that may be broken in a different location than mine. Basically I was hoping to make one decent one out of two broken ones. These seem to crack and have parts break off often enough that most listings on eBay are cracked or broken and they come as part of a complete heater motor assembly where the cost is through the roof even in crappy overall condition. I just need a housing to try to fix mine... not the motor or hampster cage or other parts. You can see where mine is missing a decent chunk. The cracks I can deal with. If I can't find one for reasonable cost, I'll try to use another method to fill in this missing piece and I'll take any suggestions there as well.

Thanks

Rick
P1160483r.jpg

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Your air hose will cover most of that. I would glue a small reinforcing plate on the inside, then built up thin layers of body fill and spray with ‘satin finish’ black paint. Especially as you mentioned anything being offered for sale is in worse condition, that you are still going to need to fix.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
In a little more perfect world, I'd find that person with a good other half to match my good half. Two wrongs can make a right. Ha.

Thanks for the bondo suggestion. That may be where I'll end up.

Rick

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rick there was a guy in the UK making new ones.. 3d printed i believe. Same guy who was offering the heater cores, valve brackets etc... Will see if i can dig up the details... It is on the forum

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ashley Hinton in the UK has them new. Seems to sell on Ebay UK, (ebay.co.uk) but cost is 40 pounds, with 20 pounds shipping. Does include all pieces of the shell, screws, etc. . He also sells heater valves, but I cannot vouch for the longevity of those, which can be problematic. Good luck, David

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
They're really easy to find used. That same Smiths housing was used on Austin Healey Sprites and MG Midgets, as well as a host of other cars. Look on eBay... there are several there right now. You might also find one from someone locally breaking up an old Spridget... the aren't hard to find.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you all for the responses and options. I have several to choose from now.

Rick

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Tom,

Yes, I did pick up one up from a nearby member that I combined with a new motor I grabbed from VB just before they closed up operations.

Thank you

Rick