• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheel & Pinion Set

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
My rear end went out. I need the following hard to find parts. In Sunbeam Specialties catalog (p10) they are shown in the exploded diagram as #3 Wheel & Pinion Set. Do any of you fellows have them in good condition?

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2759.jpeg
    IMG_2759.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 60

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
My rear end went out. I need the following hard to find parts. In Sunbeam Specialties catalog (p10) they are shown in the exploded diagram as #3 Wheel & Pinion Set. Do any of you fellows have them in good condition?
Roots parts in Holland has them. New

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What rear axle assy and type hubs/wheels are you running? Reason for asking is there a possibility of converting your rear if a Early series to a later series like a SIV ?

I'm seeing wires in your picture.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
What rear axle assy and type hubs/wheels are you running? Reason for asking is there a possibility of converting your rear if a Early series to a later series like a SIV ?

Yes, Dan, It has wire wheels. I don't have a shop anymore so the work is being done by a local classic car shop. Therefore, I don't (at the moment) have specs on the axle assembly but from the speedo/tac info at speeds of 50 to 70mph, I think I have a 4:22 pumpkin.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor

Dan,
As it turns out my rear end is probably from a Series I car ass the axle splines number 17 instead f 25. So that turns out to be my problem. Both Sunbeam Spares in the UK and Roots Post Vintage Spares in Holland only have gear sets for the 25 spline axles. Do you have any suggestions for me?

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
OK, fellows, here is the situation after a week of trying to fix my rear end problem: When I purchased my SII six years ago, it needed a rear end. Not being familiar with the car I purchased a complete rear end, pumpkin w/axle for wire wheels. As it turns out, the unit was from a Series I car as the axles have 17 splines. Rear ends from later cars have 25 splines and I haven’t been able to find the gears for the earlier 17 spline axles. I have checked with Sunbeam Spares in the UK and Roots Post Vintage Spares in Holland and both gear sets are for 25 spline axles. I need either the rear end for 17 spline axles or a complete rear end, pumpkin, axles, etc., for wire wheels. Any suggestions?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK, fellows, here is the situation after a week of trying to fix my rear end problem: When I purchased my SII six years ago, it needed a rear end. Not being familiar with the car I purchased a complete rear end, pumpkin w/axle for wire wheels. As it turns out, the unit was from a Series I car as the axles have 17 splines. Rear ends from later cars have 25 splines and I haven’t been able to find the gears for the earlier 17 spline axles. I have checked with Sunbeam Spares in the UK and Roots Post Vintage Spares in Holland and both gear sets are for 25 spline axles. I need either the rear end for 17 spline axles or a complete rear end, pumpkin, axles, etc., for wire wheels. Any suggestions?
Suggest a SV complete rear assy. Parts are a bit more available in my opinion.

It is a stronger rear.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Suggest a SV complete rear assy. Parts are a bit more available in my opinion.

It is a stronger rear.
Yes, that is what I need and am looking for one. eBay is selling one but it is for steel wheels not wire wheels. Do you have a source?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If you switch to a complete unit from a Series V, I'm pretty sure you'll have to fabricate mounts for the telescopic shocks.

alpine_64

Donation Time
If you switch to a complete unit from a Series V, I'm pretty sure you'll have to fabricate mounts for the telescopic shocks.
Yes, the s3 onwards will have telescopic mounts on the axle but you would need to fabricate some on the body. You can use the kit available on the saoca.. But... You will probably have to sort your own shocks as the length will be shorter than the s3-v shock and likely some difference from the full kit as they mount off the spring plate iirc .. And yours will hang lower off the rear axle

Slainte

Donation Time
Is there a third spline count configuration? A friend dropped that into a conversation lately, and I need confirmation and specifics.

Slainte

Donation Time
Thanks for your reply. I need to dig up a set of axles, and the possibility of a third setup had me going.