• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

anyone used a Steering COLUMN "Other" than a tiger column ?

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm building this car from "Scratch", so it will not in any way be as the factory did it. did anyone find a "suitable steering column that will fit, or be made to fit ?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Unless you are determined to do things the hard way, a Tiger steering column is the obvious solution.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The only requirement you listed was fit. Hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited:

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you are starting from scratch..... I bought a floor shifter column from summit racing. Adapted it to work with the steering box. Worked out great with tilt and 4 way flasher. Mines a 1962 series II.
Cheers Jason 79E17AFF-76B2-49CC-91A1-D201ACB0711C.jpeg

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The only requirement you listed was fit. Hope you find something that works for you.
The OP intends to shoehorn a SBF 302 with auto gearbox into a Series 3. I had a lengthy phone conversation with him in September about V-8ing an Alpine but he seems hell-bent on doing it the hard way.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Brian on CAT has one in a pile of for sale stuff.
Look in the for sale section parts . If you're not a member there it cost nothing unless you want to post something for sale.
No comment on people liking to do it the hard way, but I can tell you owning a Tiger and working out yourself is definitely the hard way. If you want to challenge go work on a really old building or really old car and try to make it modern
It's like changing font with a hammer and a chisel on a tablet. Now guess if I'm saying tablet computer or stone tablet ;)

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you are starting from scratch..... I bought a floor shifter column from summit racing. Adapted it to work with the steering box. Worked out great with tilt and 4 way flasher. Mines a 1962 series II.
Cheers Jason View attachment 21487
That looks great. I may rethink trying to find a column cover and turn signal switch to go with the mgb column that came with my alger project. I think it would look better just going this way with a new column complete.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
at the Moment, None. wish I could find another set of 2005 Hyundae Tiberon seats

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
The OP intends to shoehorn a SBF 302 with auto gearbox into a Series 3. I had a lengthy phone conversation with him in September about V-8ing an Alpine but he seems hell-bent on doing it the hard way.

Mark ..... volvoguys
it IS "shoehorned" in and fits fine in exactly the stock position. just exhaust not hooked, and some more "wiring to finish in the redone dash". light switches and such. body, suspension is done, still no "Glass" for the windshield. May fire it up in the next few days, the weather is ridiculous, raining 4 out of 7 days For past 3 Months ! Humidity over 100% ( I mean RAIN, not drizzle . LOL)

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
by the way the 40" Steering column I got from "motor city speedworks" is as close to a stock bolt in as you can get . $104 delivered