• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II Convertible Top Installation

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking for some pics of a properly installed convertible top on the Series II. Particularly, how the top is mounted along the sides, inside the side covers. According to the owners manual, the sides fold up when the top is taken down. Wondering how the sides are anchored to allow for them to be folded up. Snaps? Found some pics on the gallery but can't see how it's attached.

alpine_64

Donation Time
DO NOT PUT THE SOFT TOP UNDER THE 2 ALUMINIUM SIDE RETAINING STRIPS FOR THE BODY SEAL!!!
yes all caps yelling...

The soft top goes behind the rear aluminium strip but Not the sides. If you retain it on the sides it will not fold down.
There is a snap fastener on the vertical face inside the B bost area where the top is tensioned and a tennex fastener on the hinging point of the soft top frame.

The early cars did not use snaps on the body to retain the outer flap that runs around the base of the top that covers the body.

The top has to be installed at the right height to allow that flap to angle diwn and drain ( oversize it gets bent upward when folded and creates a trough when errected)

Have a look at the photos in the owbets manual.
Also make sure your screen rake is correct before fitting.

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Appears that's what happened by PO. Removed the side retaining strips and was able to fold the top down. For the material that was once behind the retaining strip, looks like that is held in place by a snap or two? Maybe a lift-a-dot? Now I just have to work on the tennex fastener. Wasn't sure what a tennex fastener, just looked it up. Thanks!

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
My original series II had 3 windows and a rubber bead on the sides that the side covers held down when the top was up.
Now ordering options are series I is 3 window & 2 zippers, series II 1 window & no zipper.
I like the 3 windows and think the sI should work in my sII by fastening the sides behind the retaining strips and unzipping the sider to release the sides to fold down.

Another question on tops. Are series 3,4,& 5 tension and Velcro tops all interchangeable that are complete with frame and all hardware?
The next project is a series 3st with no top or frame and I got a good used late series top, frame, and all hardware but not sure what series it came from.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I just started installing an S2 Robbins top the other day also Michael. Do the 2 inch strips at the front go under the side strap and attach to the wind screen with those twist type fasteners?? A picture would be very helpful. I have searched the gallery and only found external pics. Thanks in advance.
Jeff

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does this help, i had a local shop install this for me a while back. This is how they did it. I think I have more pictures somewhere if you need them. Cheers Jason

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank You for posting that pic, looks like they did a nice job. My WS frame has a different type of fastener than your button snap, also have. straps along the outer edges.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Junkman the photo provided is a good one.

There are 2 turn buckle fasteners on the header rail for the cantrail connections. The flaps for the cantrails shohld all be press studs same on the 2 upper ends of the A post of the svreen frame.

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Does this help, i had a local shop install this for me a while back. This is how they did it. I think I have more pictures somewhere if you need them. Cheers Jason
Thanks Jason, Good pic, but actually looking for one that shows the side rail area. However, that pic does show me how a snap/fastener is used at the windscreen. Mine just had four snaps anchoring the flaps to the side rail.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry about the picture overload.... does these help? I removed the side cover so you can see the side strip. Cheers Jason