• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Knack

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used to play that for my engineering students. Good stuff!

Kevin,

I never knew Dilbert was animated till I tripped over this clip. I appreciate Dilbert. I've had a couple of Dilbert strips on the fridge for about two decades.

mikephillips

Donation Time
20 years ago or so they tried a Dilbert half hour show, ran only about 8-9 episodes. It was ok, but to me trying to take the jokes out to a 30 minute window hurt it since Dilbert relies on those quick observations of corporate life.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Love Dilbert! I remember reading once that Scott Adams continued working at Pac Bell for years after Dilbert because he feared his inspiration would dry up once he left the corporate world. Fortunately, his readers share so many corporate experiences that he has a never ending source of inspiration.

I had the Knack when I was growing up and remember everyone saying "Jimmy is going to be an engineer." However, no one told me what an engineer was and I just assumed they thought I would be driving a train.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I never had the knack, but people were often surprised I was not an engineer. I had to tell them the math requirements killed me. Did not realize I was dyslexic until I was in my 40's.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I never had the knack, but people were often surprised I was not an engineer. I had to tell them the math requirements killed me. Did not realize I was dyslexic until I was in my 40's.

Bill
I sympathize. I'm dyslexic and an engineer... and as you know, it was a hard slough. Retired now, and nobody died, so it's all good! LOL!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
How did you manage? I am absolutely terrible with numbers. Sometimes words are a problem. I can read words just fine, but their arrangement in my mind is often strange.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Discipline... strict discipline. I'm still terrible with numbers - and folks names, too - but I did manage to solve the word issues. My cure was using a yellow transparency over my book's pages. I came up with the fix when I noticed that I could read items that I'd highlighted with a yellow highlighter, so I tried a whole transparency... and it worked! Not sure it would work for anyone else, but it did for me. I suspect it was a contrast thing.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
There is a Dilbert cartoon strip in one of our daily newspapers here in UK. Some days it is the only thing that makes any sense.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I sympathize. I'm dyslexic and an engineer... and as you know, it was a hard slough. Retired now, and nobody died, so it's all good! LOL!
Kevin, "dyslexia" is an anagram of "sex daily", but I don't remember that.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Discipline... strict discipline. I'm still terrible with numbers - and folks names, too - but I did manage to solve the word issues. My cure was using a yellow transparency over my book's pages. I came up with the fix when I noticed that I could read items that I'd highlighted with a yellow highlighter, so I tried a whole transparency... and it worked! Not sure it would work for anyone else, but it did for me. I suspect it was a contrast thing.
It seems each persons problem is unique as is any solution. I had an uncle who was very dyslexic, to the point of not not being able to read in the normal sense of "reading". However, he could mirror read like a champ. Also could turn a page over and read through the paper. I never discovered any trick that helped. I could read, letters and numbers never changed shape. A nine was always a nine, never a six. Their arrangements were anybodies guess.
Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Come on you guy's the Knack was a 70s rock band. My Sharona followed by weird Al
My Balogna....

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It seems each persons problem is unique as is any solution. I had an uncle who was very dyslexic, to the point of not not being able to read in the normal sense of "reading". However, he could mirror read like a champ. Also could turn a page over and read through the paper. I never discovered any trick that helped. I could read, letters and numbers never changed shape. A nine was always a nine, never a six. Their arrangements were anybodies guess.
Bill

I’m not dyslexic, my brother is, but I can read upside down and mirror image as easily as reading normally. I don’t know if it is something I picked in the navy. I did write on status boards on occasion. It is a useful skill, especially if you’re curious(read nosy).