• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

what CAN be done ? alpine V8

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
CAN "ANY" V8 engine be installed into an ALPINE
Yes, it "CAN"...as a matter of fact it was done over 50 years ago (can you believe that!!!????)...It called a Sunbeam Tiger!...WOW...I didn't know that???!!!
Jan

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
How 'bout this ... I believe it belongs to Ron Lee(cobralee1) ... narrower across the rockers then the 289 and weighs about 320lbs, ... Buicks/Rovers

215 Buick V8 Pine.JPG

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Also used in the early ‘60s Olds. 215 cubic inch (3500cc) aluminum block. I have one in an MGB, well almost. It’s in, but not finished yet. Looks like a few under hood mods were done. Look at the braces and the rad position.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Also used in the early ‘60s Olds. 215 cubic inch (3500cc) aluminum block. I have one in an MGB, well almost. It’s in, but not finished yet. Looks like a few under hood mods were done. Look at the braces and the rad position.

MikeH ..Something like this?
..... might ya have the Jetfire? ...

.... David

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I believe the ORIGINaL Question is not being addressed very well:)
I did..... :p

But worth reiterating.... To fit a v8 with the stock steering means a very engine forward mounting.. And very poor handling.

V6 swap is the easiest ( knowledge base, available kits, and practicality of motor) option.

4cyl more chance of saving the original steering but more home development needed.

Id love to know what modern v6 might work... Distributor location is not an issue on crank fired cars.. And many modern motors are alloy block and heads...not to mention the actual hp and torque outputs... The ohc nature of them may make the heads a little wider though.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I did..... :p

But worth reiterating.... To fit a v8 with the stock steering means a very engine forward mounting.. And very poor handling.

V6 swap is the easiest ( knowledge base, available kits, and practicality of motor) option.

4cyl more chance of saving the original steering but more home development needed.

Id love to know what modern v6 might work... Distributor location is not an issue on crank fired cars.. And many modern motors are alloy block and heads...not to mention the actual hp and torque outputs... The ohc nature of them may make the heads a little wider though.
How about an Ecoboost 4 cylinder 300 hp

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
At first I thought the Ecoboost was out of the question. I was applying the turbo problems I encountered with the Pinto 2.0 to the problems I have with the Duratec and coming up with NO GO. Recently, after looking at pictures of the Ecoboost, I've decided there have been so many changes to the basic package that my experiences may not be relevant. Having said that, I must say the package is so integrated that either it fits or it does not. Altering the Ecoboost architecture would be very difficult.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
How about an Ecoboost 4 cylinder 300 hp

Neat engine, but .....

The 300+ HP 2.3 EcoBoost will fit in a Series Alpine, but the Series Alpine steering system would have to go and the high pressure fuel pump on the back of the cylinder head would require removing a sizeable chunk of the upper firewall. The stock locations for the alternator and A/C compressor make the package very wide at the bottom where the Series Alpine engine bay is very narrow.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
MikeH ..Something like this?
..... might ya have the Jetfire? ...

.... David
Hate to take this off topic, but yes, pretty much like that. Although mine is the 2 bbl version out of a 63 Buick. Still, it will about triple the HP and torque of the 4 banger in the ‘79. It’s backed up with a Chevy T5. The Olds and Pontiac versions, from what I understand were slightly different. GM decided it would be cheaper to build thin walled cast iron engines and sold the engine rights to Rover. Basically the same engine used in the MGB-GT V8.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think that anybody looking for an easy engine swap should not be looking at the ten pounds of mud in a five pound bag swaps. In other words, look at engines of two liters or less. Probably way less. The early Miata engines are prime examples.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I think that anybody looking for an easy engine swap should not be looking at the ten pounds of mud in a five pound bag swaps. In other words, look at engines of two liters or less. Probably way less. The early Miata engines are prime examples.

Bill
There's no such thing as an easy engine swap!