• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

what CAN be done ? alpine V8

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
CAN "ANY" V8 engine be installed into an ALPINE with it's Stock steering ??? or will the steering arm and idler arm get in the way of everything ??

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Probably the steering box also the motor goes back a bit under the firewall all that stuff complicates matters.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is called the "Lack of Room". Another word is clearance.....

If you want to keep your stock steering in your Alpine I suggest you can do like lots of others have done go with some sort of 4 cyl or as I have done....a FORD V6.

It "looks" like it was made to be there! It fits so well there is basically no destruction to the structure of your Alpine.

The removal of the stock Alpine engine mounts on the crossmember are spot welded in several places and can be removed with a good cold chisel. Some Guys are saying it may be possible to get out of enlarging the transmission tunnel also, if you utilize an internal hyd release bearing.

Take a good look at the documentation I put together on Converting your Alpine using a FORD 2.8 V6. The link: http://danr.mhartman.net/

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
CAN "ANY" V8 engine be installed into an ALPINE with it's Stock steering ??? or will the steering arm and idler arm get in the way of everything ??
Do you mean "Is there a V8 that will fit into an Alpine and retain stock steering?" A Ford "60" might do it. But then it might not. Starter clearance could be an issue. Starter clearance is often an issue regardless of engine size and configuration.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Long and the short.. Yes ...even the Windsor v8 used in the tiger will fit with stock steering.
The first prototype ( proof of concept) car by ken miles had the stock steering and an auto trans.

Now.. Should you...NO....
The motor is too far forward and the handling was considered dangerous. Thats why rootes used the shelby prototype.. Engine moved back for balance, rack so it can be down the front for room ( note the compromise of bent steering arms and negative ackerman angle)

If you want a motor swap thats straight forward and produces good results.. The v6 conversion had parts for it... A wealth of knowledge and produces a great handling car.

If you want a v8... Buy a tiger... Or be very good at fabrication... Joel on the forum has documented some of his v8 conversions.. But he is a skilled operator.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mr Bill are you referring to the little flathead V8 from back around 1937-'40? Didn't know you were the old:)
Yes, that one. I'm really not that old. I remember seeing one in a junk yard when I was about ten years old. Was really struck by the size. Dad later told me it was a "60". I think that was the first and last "60" I ever saw.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
One of my High School Buddie's had a '37 FORD 2 door sedan powered by a 60HP flathead. When loaded with down with a bunch of his (Jimmy Mays) football team mates it would hardly pull out of the school parkind lot:)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It was actually from 1932 to 1953.

I was not familiar with all the years it was available or produced. I had some of the 85 HP FORD in my '34 2dr Sedan, '40 Ford Coupes. Then, I discovered the '51 Olds engine made the Coupe a little faster:)

My favorite Race Car Driver back when.... was Fire Ball Roberts.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Brazil had a OHV conversion of the little flathead until the late 60's. ( EDIT: 1975! ) Cool little motor!MOTOR-EMISUL-00201086164141.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The French military used the flattie like forever, but I'm pretty sure not the 60 version. I was always under the impression it disappeared in the late '30's. The 60 was incredibly popular in post war racing, king of the midget racing circuit. I well remember the sound of the little mill and smell of the burned castor oil hanging in the air. Late '40s, before I knew of the engines existence.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Before I used a V6 ,even though I'm building one, I'd opt for a modern 4 cylinder motor,look around seems to be the trend a good example might be the New Mustang????