• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Auto transmission floor shifter

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting for sure. The vacuum switch even gives it a downshift capability!

I'm planning on using a 94 V6 version of the tranny with a late 4 banger torque convertor. Supposed to be much more durable.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Okay Bill and Bill and 260, I had this all figured out...I thought, now I am not so sure. My tranny was built by an expert 4 years ago just before we sold the farm and moved, so it has been sitting. I explained to the guy what I wanted and he said he could do it with an early A4LD that used vacuum with an electric converter lockup. I will start with my original idea of a button for lockup, then if that fails to work, I'll try one of the previously mentioned ideas. I honestly think a button will work fine, and when in town if not locked it is just a regular auto-OD......I think. Got wheels and tires sorted, now back on building a tilt...but now with OD converter also on my mind. Now I remember why I am so excited and anxious when starting a new driver for the first drive. Life is never dull for car builders.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Charles, I'm really liking the idea of around town having a totally automatic 3 speed with automatic lockup. A big reason I'm going to the A4LD is the probability of getting caught "flat footed" in the wrong lane and the wrong gear at a bad time in a strange city. I feel the 3 speed with auto lockup should solve that problem and third should be a great city gear. It will also allow me to pay more attention to traffic and proper lane.

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, What do you plan for a bellhousing. I've heard the earlier Zetec was close to the 2.3 SOHC and the Duratec was close to the 3.0 Vulcan pattern. The A4LD has bellhousings for both of those motors. You have to use a A4LD bellhousing because of the pump passages.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Guys that should know say the Duratec bell used in the Ranger 5E tranny (which is a vastly improved and updated A4LD) will bolt onto A4LD bodies. The Duratec pattern is not close to any Ford pattern I've seen. For openers, the starter bolts onto the block, not the bell housing.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
After considerable thought, I have to admit I don't understand the schematic for the pressure switch activation of 4th. It is my understanding that a "closed" switch passes current. The schematic shows the wire connected to the "NC" (normally closed) terminal of the pressure switch. Hunh? Current flow inhibits activation? Confusing to my altered mind.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,

I believe that the 4th gear solenoid in the later A4LD transmissions was designated as a "4th gear inhibit solenoid." I interpret that to mean that closing the switch and activating the solenoid would prevent shifting into 4th gear.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Barry, so an Overdrive lockout like the button on the end of some Ford levers. Push in to engage or disengage the OD. Going down a steep grade is not good in OD for example.