• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

14" wheels that fit the Alpine 4 lug

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Here is the info for what I bought for my Alpine. The on-line source I used for my steel wheels is "bgfilip2000" and his wheels are checked before painting. At $41.00 each they were the best price I found on-line or anywhere for 4 lug on 4.25" with a center hole that clears the Alpine front hub. Backspace is just over 4" and the rim is 5" wide. There are a number of 14" tires that will work on this rim. I plan to use 175 x 70-14 on front and 185 x 70-14 on the rear. After reading about front fender clearance when turning with bigger tires, I did a lot of checking of previous posts. One could go to a bigger front tire but wider and/or taller tires could be problematic. Wider wheels and tires on the rear could hit the rear leaf springs, and the same holds true for rubbing on the front. My chosen tires should clear under all circumstances after measuring my wheel openings and the posted tire dimensions. The fronts are 23.6" tall and 6.9" wide...much bigger than the factory, which are 4.5" wide rims, 22.5" to 23" tall Tires, with 5.5" to 6" wide overall. The rears are 24.2" tall and 7.3" wide...also bigger than factory tires. This gives us more road contact with better grip under all conditions yet they appear to fill the opening without contacting suspension or body parts. AND THE TREAD DOES NOT STICK OUT PAST THE FRONT FENDER. My custom 14 x 6 on 4.25 did reach past the fender about 1/8" so the tire would obviously be outside the fender. That is why I began my search for wheels. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    557.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    539.8 KB · Views: 40

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The pictures are the spare 165 x 65-14 tire on a 5th wheel 14 x 5 - 4.25 rim. It fits down in the spare tire well but the tires on the ground are too big.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
These wheels can be seen on-line at Wheels Express Inc. The delivery slip says 14 x 5 size - 4 x 4.25 bolt pattern OEM Ford steel wheel (Nice condition No Pitting or Damage, Checked for Trueness) Fits Ford rear wheel (drive) cars.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Charles!
Any chance the stock Sunbeam hubcap fits these wheels?

Charles Johns

Donation Time
After mounting 175 x 70R - 14 and 185 x 70R - 14 to check clearance and tire size differences, this is what I found. The front smaller tires AS MOUNTED are 23 3/8" tall and 7" wide on the 5" rims. This is close to factory numbers but not exact. The rear bigger tires are 24" tall and 7 1/4" wide on the same rim. That makes the rear tires 5/8" taller and 1/4" wider than the front. The rear tires clear the rear leaf springs yet are taller and much wider than the factory originals. With the frontend out from under the body I can't measure the clearances but after reading previous posts I feel sure they will work fine. They are also bigger than originals with a bigger contact-patch for better control and with a 680 A A rating for wear-grip-heat I think they will do good on a street car. The reason for smaller front tires is the manual steering and economy. With a rear-drive car pushing wide front tires can hurt if one is looking for MPG as well as power. The tires are HANKOOK KINERGY ST with 70,000 miles warranty for about $70.00 each delivered from Tire Rack. I have received much help from this site and I hope this helps someone else.