• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DuraPine II

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The first photo sneeked in, sort of uninvited. I see no way to trash it. When I click on edit, the photos disappear.

Bill
Bill, it still hurts to see your Alpine bent, as it is the only one I have driven. I did not notice any steering problems with yours but it was a rather short drive. Do you plan to use a rack?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, it still hurts to see your Alpine bent, as it is the only one I have driven. I did not notice any steering problems with yours but it was a rather short drive. Do you plan to use a rack?
Yes. It had been installed on the car, unfortunately not a good installation. I decided to go after the rack and pinion steering for several reasons. It will allow the engine to set almost upright which improves oil level. Also straightens out the gear shifter and drive train. It should also provide for lower effort steering so I wont need the electric power steering.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Problems, problems. After struggling to locate the R&P high enough, I noticed the instructions for installing the MG arms say the bolts go on top. I thought that was good news. However, flipping the arm so the rod end is on the bottom creates a misalignment of over 2" at mid suspension travel. With the rod on the top, it is about 3/4". I don't like 3/4" but prefer it over 2".

All the steering rod components are 1/2-20, right hand thread. So how does one set toe? The rods connecting the steering unit to the arms are bent, meaning the minimum adjustment is one turn or almost a sixteenth of an inch on one side, which means an eighth overall. Should the rods be straightened so they are free to rotate?

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Problems, problems. After struggling to locate the R&P high enough, I noticed the instructions for installing the MG arms say the bolts go on top. I thought that was good news. However, flipping the arm so the rod end is on the bottom creates a misalignment of over 2" at mid suspension travel. With the rod on the top, it is about 3/4". I don't like 3/4" but prefer it over 2".

All the steering rod components are 1/2-20, right hand thread. So how does one set toe? The rods connecting the steering unit to the arms are bent, meaning the minimum adjustment is one turn or almost a sixteenth of an inch on one side, which means an eighth overall. Should the rods be straightened so they are free to rotate?

Bill

Bill,

I am having trouble visualizing the steering arm / tie-rod / lower A-arm misalignment issue. Any chance of a picture?

If you straighten the tie-rods, the tie-rod to rack joints will bind up. Not an issue with the rack in the proper location, but a big problem when the rack is way too far forward which is unavoidable with the "Tiger configuration".

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, The MGB rack tie rods should be 9/16"-18 one left thread, one right thread. I've only seen one without bent tie rods and I tried Emailing the guy and he never answered. Maybe he clearanced the inner joint to allow more travel. You have to remove the sheetmetal mounts off of the crossmember. Maybe notch the crossmember back to the front mount tab. I'll attach a picture of the Tiger crossmember and a link to the one without the bent tie rods.

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/BillyJoOlinyk.htm

tiger crossmember.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry, I'll get some pictures up. It will take a while. Its like pulling teeth from a disgruntled wildcat. It can be done, but barely, as we don't understand the process of loading pics into the computer.

Jim, I double checked. Everything is right hand thread. The threads in the rod ends measure .562". Threads on the steering rods, .530. He threaded short threaded rods into the rod ends and used a 3" long connecting nut to hold everything together. Any male end will thread into any nut opening.

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Original Tiger had the rack lower with larger crossmember notch, tie rod end below the steering arm. The picture above the rack is higher and smaller notch so tie rod end is above the steering arm.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Any ideas how I rig up a turnbuckle gizmo for adjusting toe?

QA1 (and probably others) sell a gizmo that looks like the "3" adapters", but is reverse threaded (1/2-20 left-hand male and 1/2-20 right-hand female) to provide a "turnbuckle" function. You would need tie-rod joints with 1/2-20 left-hand threads.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_6630.JPG IMG_6629.JPG IMG_6630.JPG IMG_6629.JPG IMG_6630.JPG IMG_6629.JPGThe setup: The R&P is setting level with 1/8" between the bellows and frame. Everything is level. Suspension is in full droop. 1 1/8" difference (center to center) between the R&P steering rod and the short 9/16" rod threaded into the rod end. Assuming the car travels at mid suspension travel, with 4" between bump stops, the rod end will be 7/8" above the R&P center.

Second photo. You can see how he has attached everything together. The connector nut is threaded right hand both ends. Oh yes, the stock engine mounts have been removed.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
QA1 (and probably others) sell a gizmo that looks like the "3" adapters", but is reverse threaded (1/2-20 left-hand male and 1/2-20 right-hand female) to provide a "turnbuckle" function. You would need tie-rod joints with 1/2-20 left-hand threads.
Would also need 1/2" 20 threads on the steering rods. Doing that would be a treat. Maybe start out with an adjustable 1/2 - die at max diameter and work down. How would the 9/16" - 18 threads on the R&P steering rods play with 1/2" - 20 threads? If I could find a 9/16' -18 left hand tap I think I could make the stuff.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Would also need 1/2" 20 threads on the steering rods. Doing that would be a treat. Maybe start out with an adjustable 1/2 - die at max diameter and work down. How would the 9/16" - 18 threads on the R&P steering rods play with 1/2" - 20 threads? If I could find a 9/16' -18 left hand tap I think I could make the stuff.

here ya go

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

Bill,

What size threads do you need? QA1 does 3/8-24, 7/16-20, 1/2-20, 5/8-18 and 3/4-16. What they don't do is 9/16-18.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
View attachment 20628 View attachment 20629 View attachment 20628 View attachment 20629 View attachment 20628 View attachment 20629The setup: The R&P is setting level with 1/8" between the bellows and frame. Everything is level. Suspension is in full droop. 1 1/8" difference (center to center) between the R&P steering rod and the short 9/16" rod threaded into the rod end. Assuming the car travels at mid suspension travel, with 4" between bump stops, the rod end will be 7/8" above the R&P center.

Second photo. You can see how he has attached everything together. The connector nut is threaded right hand both ends. Oh yes, the stock engine mounts have been removed.

Bill

Bill,

To minimize bump-steer, the tie-rods should be parallel with a line between the lower A-arm inner pivots and the center of the lower ball joint. Level does not matter. Rod end height above the R&P center does not matter. What matters is the tie-rods being parallel with the lower A-arm.

Last edited: