• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front Wheel/Suspension

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
That "spacer" looks like what is left of the inner race of an outer front wheel bearing on a Series Alpine. If so, it was not originally threaded and the spindle (aka, stub axle) "underneath" the bearing race was originally straight and smooth (not threaded).

Based on the picture, I would not be surprised if that section of the spindle is no longer straight or smooth. There is a good chance that the inner bearing race has been "friction welded" to the spindle.

If I were going to tackle that mess, I would heat the inner race (NOT the stub axle) and use a hammer and a drift pin to knock (as gently as possible) the inner race off the stub axle. You could try "splitting" the inner race, but remember that it was originally hardened and might shatter.

I suggest that you review WSM-145, Section F (Front Suspension), in particular, Figure 10 on page 12.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It should not be threaded. However, it may have buggered to the point it has engaged the threads. Therefore, I would try to remove it by tuning it off. I would try using a small pipe wrench.

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Take a cut off wheel to that race and cut it in half to remove. I advise you not to twist it off with a wrench.
What the heck happened? Never, never seen anything as catastrophic as that one.
Jan

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Had that happen on a Ford I had ... seized bearing, that as Barry stated "friction welded" itself to the spindle .... I cut it in half, though I did think of heating it(race) and tapping it off. The landing on the spindle was ruined from the bad bearing so replaced it. ... Hope you fair better.

..... David

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I must have misinterpreted the drawing in the parts manual. I took that to be part #70, which is listed as ‘distancing piece”.

Update on the situation...I’m removing and replacing the axle carrier...as the threads have to be destroyed under that piece or would be destroyed in removing it.

For those who asked...I burned a bearing without much notice and with a little ways to go to get off of the road and out of traffic. I didn’t get the normal ‘bearing squeal’ or rub that you normally get as a warning sign.

If anybody has an axle carrier to spare...message me...please.

As always, thanks for the responses.

BCE102C3-2DD6-4CAF-AFBF-4056BF8CDCF5.jpeg

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Take a cut off wheel to that race and cut it in half to remove. I advise you not to twist it off with a wrench.
What the heck happened? Never, never seen anything as catastrophic as that one.
Jan
I burned a bearing without much notice and with a little ways to go to get off of the road and out of traffic. I didn’t get the normal ‘bearing squeal’ or rub that you get as a warning sign. It got hot and broke fast...nearly yanked me into oncoming traffic.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I learned it the same way ... except on the freeway .... It happened as I was merging into traffic from an on-ramp, pulled me into the brush on the emerg. side ... no noise ... nothing! .... though I had just bought it weeks prior and I was young. .... excuse? .... maybe :D

..... David