• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Washer bottles

Limey

Donation Time
You kooky scallywags......ok, back to the original post.

Hi Lance,

Hope you're well mate??

The UV is needed to activate the peroxide. It's aging/oxidising of the plasticisers and the surface combining with the oily fumes in the engine bay that give it that brown tint.

Oxiboost is a clothes cleaning agent easily available in any hardware/ houseware store. Its a type of bleach used for stain removal.
15-30% oxygen based bleaching agents. Less than 5% non-ionic surfactants. Contains sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate

Some people add half a cup to the peroxide, some pre-soak with it and then dip in the peroxide. My Peroxide was 12% ordered online and delivered by standard DHL type carrier.

Need loads of UV to work so not much use in Blighty but good for using in most of the colonies.

I can't say I was over the moon with the results but a definite improvement and two of the cleaner bottles ended up good enough. Might be easier to age a bright white repro.

All the best

Oliver

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wonder if your cleaning process will help this eBay special-only $375!!
Must have been an engine fire to cause this. And greed........
$375 washer bottle!.JPG

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very obviously patina is valued much more than doing it my way and over restoring a car... ;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Here another bargain...:rolleyes:

View attachment 20331
Saw this bottle auction a week back... Think my eyes roller further than your icon.

There are some serial sellers on ebay who post sunbeam stuff at prices that just make no sense.... I guess if someone buys it they must be rubbing their hands with glee...but just shows their moral standing.

Same as sellers who knowingly misrepresent parts with deciving descriptions as being accurate reproductions when they know they aren't or just outright sell incorrect parts for other models or cobble together lighters etc and imply they are original parts and fit sunbeam ..... , but stop short of making definitive statements so they can weasel their way out of buyers questions later. Sad when such greedy people blight what is a largely helpful enthusiast community.

Limey

Donation Time
Saw this bottle auction a week back... Think my eyes roller further than your icon.

It's tax free income with no chance of getting your nose busted for dishonesty.

It's why I don't like the phrase 'Its worth what someone pays for it' That releases the vendor from any moral imperative.

'Caveat emptor' and all that but whilst the buyer should indeed be aware, the seller should also be honest.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've got 7 or 8 of these. Although it doesn't look like a lot of fun, I can't wait to for the point when I can focus on little details and micromanage my driver cars. At that point I'll have to refer back to these threads. Hopefully by that time threads will become edited to as Jack Webb would say in Dragnet, a famous line often misused. " Just the facts" he says this as part of an investigation. I like verbatim facts as spoken and not edited. There used to be a non advertising rule in another forum. This happened because vendors quit sending in $ for their space to offset the printing cost in the club's publication. But to merge back to the topic , I would ask that the powers that be here consider the intent of the OP as to the direction of how their thread could go. Threads on the internet can be likened to submitting your how too ad to a clubs newsletter. Your submission is always edited and isn't made into a advertisement for a non paying member or a self-promoting I statement..
Humans need fences and good fences make for good neighbors. Someone needs to tend those fences and keep them in good repair which includes pulling the weeds.
What I'm saying here is becoming an information source and not a shameless reminder that we've got a couple of vendors only for our cars, that sell some really nice stuff and some stuff that looks like, well a plastic condiment bottle or as mentioned earlier a colostomy bag, thanks for that picture :)

Limey

Donation Time
Warren - put the lid back on that can of worms; put it back down on the ground very carefully and step away...;)
Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 14.44.39.png

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Yep ... Lots of those kind of sellers on greedbay .... bought a mis-represented part from a seller and member here as well ... I'll keep the name private, it was a Y-collector for an SV that had a bigger I.D. then the stock one ... had to buy adapters/reducers to make it work. Funny though, he also complained about a shady seller on greedbay after a bad purchase on his part ... ah KARMA! .... Their everywhere!

..... David

Limey

Donation Time
I have to admit that when I sell on Ebay I'm not doing it because I want to but because I need to. Not for the money but sanity. Who needs parts or accessories that you have had for years but you realize you will never use. Why do I have 3 of everything anyway:rolleyes:

I feel a dull ache when I list them and disappointment when they sell. Some parts because you know you paid a lot more for than what they sold for. Others because you spent many hours refurbishing a part to perfection that cost you $80 that sells for $120. Sometimes I worry my asking price looks too high but only because I know the effort and care that went into it. I guess the reality is it is a buyers market out there. Sometimes I would rather give a part to a friend for nothing than sell it to a chiseler.

65beam

Donation Time
I just bought this bottle and bracket. I has quite a bit of what looks to be the original blue paint on the bottle holder and the black on the bracket that fastens to the inner fender.110_1240.JPG

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Thanks Oliver,

All good here thanks, we seem to be doing ok in AU compared to some other parts of the globe.....

I will purchase some of your suggested ingredients and conduct my own science experiment on some of Mr Tudors finest plastics circa 1964. I knew there was a reason I had been keeping all this junk...

Last edited:

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Specialties has the washer bottles in stock and they look good Thing they sell for about 30.00

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sunbeam Specialties has the washer bottles in stock and they look good Thing they sell for about 30.00
Yes. The issue is people wanting a correct colour washer bottle. The ss replacement is a really nice product, but the modern plastic is much whitter than the original ...so for thw originality/ concourse crew they want a way to restore the original.. Or.... Recolour the repro

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
I have a MKII Tiger bottle at home, and if I recall correctly, the MKII Tiger uses a larger bottle than the MKI. Considering the number of MKII's on the road, is there a market for replacement bottles?