• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Washer bottles

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oh yeah Well you see we don't trust air you can't see here.
And to those who weren't paying attention in history class The conquistadors called this area the land of smoke, way before they were even cars.
Yeah that's really great let's run a car and suck down everything. I know guys that have got rocks small enough to get through that mesh, and little screws from Willow springs on the track. I hope you noticed a difference in speed from the trailer to the parking lot.

alpine_64

Donation Time
. We have and have always had very clean air here in the Appalachian foot hills so we're not too concerned with filtering smog.

The filters aren't really for smog .. Its for dust/grit that gets sucked into the motor and damages fhe machined surfaces and bores.

Open filters are fine for track and then covered up when not in use... Tennis ball on down drafts rubber plugs or rags in side drafts.

Agian... Probably less of an issue for cars that do most of their moving not under their own power, but would be worth making covers for them for when its sitting around so dust doesnt go down into the carbs.

65beam

Donation Time
Oh yeah Well you see we don't trust air you can't see here.
And to those who weren't paying attention in history class The conquistadors called this area the land of smoke, way before they were even cars.
Yeah that's really great let's run a car and suck down everything. I know guys that have got rocks small enough to get through that mesh, and little screws from Willow springs on the track. I hope you noticed a difference in speed from the trailer to the parking lot.[/QUO

Warren
If something were to break I would just fix it. Everything I need for any repairs is in these cabinets or in the attic. Spare engines and drive train components are in other buildings. The cars do come out of this trailer at a slower pace than they come off the open trailer.107_0188.JPG 103_0085.JPG

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Guys I get it I'm from the age of velocity stacks. Back on topic I'd judge a car higher with a really clean original washer bottle and not a repop. So be nice and stick to the facts. This is an excellent way to clean a washer bottle. Anyone can toss $ at a car. I'll close with a bike guy's credo, Ride em don't hide em and the boat guys use em or loose em. Oh and why is it whenever I'm driving the tiger down the road and I'm doing a scratch not a pick ;) I look over and somebody's taking my picture ;) sure don't get that when you're pulling a trailer with an enclosed car or so I hear...

65beam

Donation Time
Guys I get it I'm from the age of velocity stacks. Back on topic I'd judge a car higher with a really clean original washer bottle and not a repop. So be nice and stick to the facts. This is an excellent way to clean a washer bottle. Anyone can toss $ at a car. I'll close with a bike guy's credo, Ride em don't hide em and the boat guys use em or loose em. Oh and why is it whenever I'm driving the tiger down the road and I'm doing a scratch not a pick ;) I look over and somebody's taking my picture ;) sure don't get that when you're pulling a trailer with an enclosed car or so I hear...

Towing the closed trailer at Interstate speeds allows me to have maybe 10 MPG. The GMC carries 22 gals of gas so I make several gas and wife stops on a 1000 mile tow. I wouldn't begin to count how many times I've been filling the gas tank and had folks ask " What's in the trailer". I have been know to show them. Our closed trailer does have a few tell tale indications of what we may be hauling. Last summer I stopped at a Pilot near Wheeling W Va. and a guy walked up and started talking Sunbeams. Found out good friends of his parents were original owners of a Tiger now owned by our membership guy. Do those folks taking photos fear your driving habits?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
No because I'm scratching not picking I guess you don't get the old TV Seinfeld joke either. Maybe you should spend have spent a little bit more time around the water cooler. I really don't care how many MPG you get and I don't think anybody else does. So it says Sunbeam on there Maybe they think you're selling toasters, or electrical appliances that's not so far fetched for those of us old enough to remember the Fuller brush man. It's funny how you try to compare pulling a trailer that says Sunbeam to actually driving one about 2,000 miles a year. And since we're having trailer envy here I got one that says Porsche all over it but I'm busy removing the damn stickers.

65beam

Donation Time
No because I'm scratching not picking I guess you don't get the old TV Seinfeld joke either. Maybe you should spend have spent a little bit more time around the water cooler. I really don't care how many MPG you get and I don't think anybody else does. So it says Sunbeam on there Maybe they think you're selling toasters, or electrical appliances that's not so far fetched for those of us old enough to remember the Fuller brush man. It's funny how you try to compare pulling a trailer that says Sunbeam to actually driving one about 2,000 miles a year. And since we're having trailer envy here I got one that says Porsche all over it but I'm busy removing the damn stickers.
Seinfeld didn't have much of a following in this area. FYI, Ohio has always been called "The Center Of The Sunbeam Universe". What do you mean by "scratching"? I gotta go work on restoring one of our Beams so have a nice day.

Limey

Donation Time
It's horses for courses and I think it unwise to encourage a class system in classic cars because there is one there already; rich /poor; DIY/pay a garage, rolling resto/strip down for a concours rebuild etc I've been all three over the last 30 years and it taught me a lot. BUT I hate lazy and boastful. The guy with gravel digging into his back working on his drive on his only day off to fit a repro rear cylinder rates as high as anything anyone else does

65beam

Donation Time
These photos show what happens as I assemble a car in my small shop when a painted shell comes home. The first photo shows what the RHD looked like when I unloaded it at my shop. Ian sold the car to an owner in Napa, Ca. After the wife bought it Bill moved it to Reno. I drove cross country to pick it up. I included a photo of the Harrington that Bill owned at that time. The body went to a shop called the "Rod Shop" for paint. Doug @ Tiger Auto set all the panel gaps and some other body work along with the rebuild of the rear end and front suspension. The new engine block was built by a local machine shop that was working on my Alpine engines in the 60's. Tiger Tom rebuilt the O.D. and the transmission. The interior was sewn up by a local shop that has shown several of his street rods at SEMA. I installed the interior except for the head liner which was custom made. All the plating and polishing of bright work was done by LiBrandi's in Harrisburg, Pa. The other photos show what happens in my shop after all the parts are home and I assemble the cars to the condition my wife wants her cars to be in when ready to drive. This is car # 5 to come out of our shop since 1995. One more to go! I have photos showing the builds of our other cars including the bare metal bodies in various stages of reconstruction if anyone wants to see details of both Tigers and Alpines.

Attachments

• 100_0621.JPG
    100_0621.JPG
    520.2 KB · Views: 46
  • PTDC0077.JPG
    PTDC0077.JPG
    373.6 KB · Views: 45
  • PTDC0208.JPG
    PTDC0208.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 47
  • PTDC0171.JPG
    PTDC0171.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 47
  • 110_0267.JPG
    110_0267.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 46
  • 110_0298.JPG
    110_0298.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 110_0590.JPG
    110_0590.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 110_0596.JPG
    110_0596.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 110_0602.JPG
    110_0602.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_0601.JPG
    100_0601.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 47

Limey

Donation Time
You sure have been practicing hard over the years so maybe number 6 will actually be done right. Thanks for sharing tho.

alpine_64

Donation Time
And here i was thinking this thread was about washer bottles and how to try and get the correct look back on an original.... same old same old......

Oliver great work on the washer bottle.. Am sure with some more experimentation you will nail it to be dead on.

Out of interest what about using a dentists ultrasonic cleaner with some of the chemicals... The vibration does a great job on removing micro traces of dirt and debris... Just a thought.

65beam

Donation Time
This isn't a Sunbeam but has towed a lot of Sunbeam miles over the years. I couldn't keep this correct either. It's only 37 years old and built my way.

Attachments

• 107_0339.JPG
    107_0339.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 18

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
A couple of you guys can sure get off topic. That being said, nice job on the water bottles, and thanks for sharing your project.
I personally always enjoy bringing an old original part back to service. Perfect? Not always. But at the end of the day I can always say
"I did that."

65beam

Donation Time
A couple of you guys can sure get off topic. That being said, nice job on the water bottles, and thanks for sharing your project.
I personally always enjoy bringing an old original part back to service. Perfect? Not always. But at the end of the day I can always say
"I did that."
I used to do most everything and could say "I did that" until Life got in the way. Now a job, my own business, more than one property to take care of , a 90 year old that I have to take everywhere plus many other things now prevent me from doing everything. I really miss those days when life was simple.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Out of interest what about using a dentists ultrasonic cleaner with some of the chemicals... The vibration does a great job on removing micro traces of dirt and debris... Just a thought.
The discoloration comes from decomposition and out gassing of various components of the plastic formulation. Ultrasonic cleaners will take care of the grime but won’t have any effect on the coloration. The hydrogen peroxide theoretically recombines with the plastic chemicals and helps fade the yellowing. The tumbler process essentially erodes the outer layer of the plastic to get back down to the original color but, as I mentioned previously, one needs to be careful to not destroy the bottle in the attempt to save it.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I retired at the age of 56 way back in 2006 and they still won't let me quit working. I just do it my way when ever I want to.
Put some Kool-Aid into that washer bottle shake it up and drink from it maybe if you do that it won't be off topic.
Wow nobody looks a day over 100 in any of those pictures I've seen.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
You kooky scallywags......ok, back to the original post.

Oliver, can you please explain the mixing ratio of the peroxide and the Oxi Boost product...what is that by the way? Can I assume there is some water in there as well?

I notice the necks on the bottles before cleaning were still white ish. Protected from the under bonnet heat? Can't imagine it's a UV thing after spending their lives in the dark? I see the lids are still yellow ish after the process or did you just do the bottles?

No experiment is a waste of time if it produces a result, either good or bad. Thanks for being so dedicated...;)

Last edited: