• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Exactly what I was thinking. When blue was first discussed I was against it because initially "Ford" blue was in mind and not what was wanted. Obviously a factory Rootes shade of blue would not be dark enough.
I wonder if I can trouble Gordon to post a couple of pics of his car inside and in the sun, might just be the shade I am after.
Chrysler patriot blue is a dark blue with a fine metallic I have an Alpine that was painted that color

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Are you happy with the result? I checked online for the color you mention and there are two different shades depending on the year. Is yours Pearl and mettalic?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I will be selecting a final blue color on Friday. Right now in my head, it is a very dark blue metal flake. I will share info when the final selection is made.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
As we can see from my poll earlier, Blue seems to be the best color for the Sunbeam body. Like Aladin, I am leaning towards a blue so dark (midnight blue) that in low light will look black. Under sunlight you will be able to tell it is blue. That being said, any dark color is hard to keep clean. What the heck, it will give us a excuse to go out to the garage!
Stay Safe folks

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do prefer the bit darker blue Like Commodore Blue 106. If you added a tad of metal flake it might improve. Almost went that way!

I had a '58 Impala I put a 409 in and had it painted Georgian Blue metallic a '59 Caddy color. It was a lite Silver Blue but in the dark it looked like Blue Velvet, my handle for the '58.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, its amazing what some metallic can do to an otherwise ordinary color. A friend searched color catalogs for weeks, looking for "that" color for his Camaro. Decided on Ford Toreador Red with some fine metallic added. That sucker would light up like a 1000 watt bulb when the sun hit it. Hard to believe it was a common Ford red, very beautiful and dramatic.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I think I've had every color of the rainbow on a car or truck I've owned ... from a champagne metallic pink on my 62" Caddy to a plum purple on a 69' Cuda I wrecked and a burn't orange root beer on my 57 Ranch Wagon .... never had a Blue car or truck .. A buddy of mine restored a 56' F-250 long bed 4X that had the most gorgeous shade of Cobalt Blue/Black/Purple i've every seen .. dark as night 'till a light hit it! .... also on his 56' Panhead w/ ghost flames. This is what I have on, not as dark I wanted ... kinda dusty ... but in the right light through s off some cobalt blk/purple hues ..... still like the Black Cherry thoughOSrc (10).JPG .. burn't?

..... David

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So a disappointing day today. The owner of the shop that will be painting my alpine called just as I was getting in the truck for the two hour drive to his shop. He said something had come up, and he could not start work on the car yet. I told him I already had it loaded on a rented trailer and that I would like to bring it anyway and he could start on it when he could. Turns out several members of his wifes family had tje virus, and one of them had died. So, I did drop the car off but we didnt pick a color or even really talk about the scope of the job. We will reconvene in a couple weeks and see what can be done.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a late model Camaro that I see on my way to and from work. The best I can describe its color is Hot Wheels blue. It is an extremely metallic blue. Almost a blue chrome. Reminds me of the old original Hot Wheels Camaro blue. Not sure if it it’s an actual color or a wrap.

Did some more searching. Guessing it’s a wrap
https://www.flickr.com/photos/360wraps/9283745997

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
So a disappointing day today. The owner of the shop that will be painting my alpine called just as I was getting in the truck for the two hour drive to his shop. He said something had come up, and he could not start work on the car yet. I told him I already had it loaded on a rented trailer and that I would like to bring it anyway and he could start on it when he could. Turns out several members of his wifes family had tje virus, and one of them had died. So, I did drop the car off but we didnt pick a color or even really talk about the scope of the job. We will reconvene in a couple weeks and see what can be done.
Sorry to hear about your shop owner, that is hitting too close. Hope your car doesn't stay in paint jail too long.