• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheel Size

JJames

Bronze Level Sponsor
I know I may be going over some old ground here, but I am currently running stock 13" rims that are painted to accent the car color with stock hub caps and I like the look. Due to the rather poor selection of 13" tires these days I was considering moving up to a 14" or 15" rim, but I want to keep the same look with a painted rim and stock hub cap. Is there a ready made bolt on solution for this?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not that I'm aware of. Might try looking at Mustang II steel wheels. A lot of Mutt II alloys have been used on Alpines, so the steels should fit.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Early Hillman minx/ husky wheels are 15" with the early rootes chrome caps.. Think pre 58.

Can try any 60s brit ford application...

You need to search steels wheels that are 4x108 ( 4 x 4.25) peugeot 206/406 wheels and 90s saab also share the pattern and have steels.. But won't work with your hubcaps

65beam

Donation Time
You can buy a set of tall 13 in tires from Coker Tire. I'm not sure what the name is but Doug Jennings @ Tiger auto has a set for sale. He has them on one of his cars. They reduce his RPM's quite a bit compared to regular 13's. And NO, I don't know the name on the tire. Give him a call. 937-252-3317

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm not sure, but I think 175/80R13 would be about the tallest tire you could put on the Alpine rims. You could fit a 185/80R13, but they can look kinda puffy on Alpine rims.

Here's a link to a tall 80-series Coker tire that would work on an Alpine:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/maxxis-175-80r13.html

For those for whom it might be useful, I'll post a link, below, to the tire speed calculator I've continually improved upon over the years. It will give you a rough idea of what sort of speeds and RPMs you'll get out of different combinations. It's an Excel file, and I recommend you download it and open it in Microsoft Excel. It doesn't really work in Google Sheets, because GS doesn't support the buttons. Also , if you open it in straight Google you'll miss the buttons AND graphs, and it looks pretty horrid too.

https://tinyurl.com/AlpineTireCalculator

Also, don't miss the tire size chart on the second tab in the spreadsheet... it's kinda handy as well.

Last edited:

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Anyone else having an issue downloading... or should I say opening after downloading this XLS? I get a blank sheet when opening in Excel. I get a little further opening in MS Works, but with errors. It downloads to a 55 k file. MS Works opens the tire size chart tab, but has issues with the Road Speed Calculator tab.

Rick

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you click on it it should open (badly) in a window, then you can download it and open it in Excel. However, maybe tinyurl is causing issues. Here's a direct link to my Google share for it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aWUORagWh3IrDEXxQFm8cPidwdhrSCBJ/view?usp=sharing

On edit:

OK, yeah, that isn't any better. Try this... click on the link... it should open an ugly version of it in the browser... then click the download button on the upper right side of the browser and when the download box pops up, choose to open it in Excel. It opened fine for me when I tried it just now. Here's what my browser looks like when I did it:

Untitled.jpg

If you're using Google Chrome it will download it and put it on a tab at the bottom of your browser... then click it and your computer should know to open it in Excel.

Last edited:

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Nope... no worky for me. Not sure what is going on. I use Firefox, but also just tried Internet Explorer (not Chrome). I get all the download options, but no matter, it opens to a blank screen in Excel. I have Excel 2010. After a download, I tried loading Excel then opening the downloaded XLS. I tried opening various ways and the only way I could see anything was using the Extract Data option, which can't bring it all in.... just kind of a raw view of the data.
Rick

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The spreadsheet doesn't work for me, but I use Apache OpenOffice instead of MS Office. Hence, I'm not surprised.

Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you! Geez, I thought I was crazy.

Yes, it probably doesn’t work under anything except Excel since I and the original creator took advantage of some pretty sophisticated features of Excel to make it work.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I got further downloading it from a MAC and opened in OpenOffice Calc. But that download file when sent over to my PC with MS Excel opened blank as well. So I am narrowing it down an Excel issue on my PC. I'll figure it out.
Thanks
Rick

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Resolved. I noticed that the sheets displayed in full screen view only, so focused on it being a display issue. Turned off hardware graphics acceleration and that was the ticket. Looks good.
Thanks
Rick

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just got your PM but I wasn’t home to send it. Glad it worked out... strange fix!

buckalpine3

Donation Time
Are you using the 5" or 5.5" wide? What are you using for hubcaps?
I believe it is a 5” wide. Running Cooper 185 65 tires with baby moons and trim rings from Mike’s Hubcaps California. PM your email I will send a picture. Dave