• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine odds and ends

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Battery hold down? Distributor
and that free rear end out of a automatic trans car. Not sure on fitment.

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_100414.jpg
    IMG_20191008_100414.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 105

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have no idea, other than it came with an Alpine. So did the battery hold down but it was on the car. I don't get it seems you would only need the battery hold down if upside down ;)

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is a picture of my series V distributor! I wanted to show Warren where to look for a part #. It can be looked up in the Parts Manual to see what series it was used. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
That is a picture of my series V distributor! I wanted to show Warren where to look for a part #. It can be looked up in the Parts Manual to see what series it was used. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

It's all good, you taught me something new today, thank you for that! :)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
558 V 190
405 11B
DU 9 arrow for rotation.

Per the battery hold down it actually came off the car.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Scott,

Based on Warren's info, I assume the Lucas distributor part # is 40511B. That specific distributor part # is not listed in the Alpine Parts Manual. The distributors are listed on pages W16 & W17: http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Alpine-parts-manual-SI-SV-searchable.pdf

Here are some examples from the Parts Manual:
upload_2019-10-9_18-3-10.png

So assuming the distributor came from some other application, what would it be? An Internet search yielded a hit on this Lucas distributor document:
https://usermanual.wiki/Document/lucasdistributorspecs.1726602031.pdf

I looked up the 40766A part # used on early series Alpines. It is listed as Lucas model DM2P4. It shows the distributor was used with Sunbeam Alpines MK2. It even shows the amount of advance at various RPMs.

I looked up my series V part #41077A. There is no 41077A entry, but there is 41077E. It is a Lucas model 25D4 and lists 1965-1967 Sunbeam Alpines & Rapiers.

There is an entry for 40511B. It is Lucas model DM2P4 (like early series Alpine distributors). But no applications are listed, nor any timing advance info.

The Lucas part numbers appear to increase over time within the document. I would guess the 40511B distributor is around the 1955 to 1957 time frame.

I have no idea if the distributor will work with your rebuilt 1725 motor (i.e. physically fits). I recommend you rebuild any original 50+ year old distributor. You want to have an advance curve that is setup for today's gasoline. Any original old distributor you buy you could try out for a while just to get your engine going again. But at some point I think you will want to rebuild the distributor (or go electronic?) for better performance.

Mike

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike thanks for doing my homework. Possibly it's a generic dealer refit.
I'd hate to toss it.
No feed back on that battery hold down?
According to his talks at a club event a fellow members gave up racing Tigers cuz he rolled two and went to Alpine's.
The comment was not serious as with that battery box seems hard for a battery to go anywhere.

There was some teeny brake shoes I tossed with the extras .
I'll drop it off at my Austin Healy pals porch in a basket ...

Limey

Donation Time
That battery cage is a pretty rare beastie, especially if it still has the rubbers. These were used in the 'old days to hold the then smaller batteries.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hope I didn't toss the battery cage. It was so long since I posted this. I can look at the rear end this week. Be nice to have it go to a good home

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The car definitely was an auto car . It's on the hard on its drums. I'm not buying an Alpine to fit it either...

Limey

Donation Time
I sold two last month (straight and painted for $120 or so each) They are a nice originality touch.