• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

NOS chrome tail pipe??

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Great! ........... S2 exhaust system in my scrap bin. Dug it out and on the first glance no traces of chrome. Then I partially cleaned it up with a brass brush. Look at the result on the picture:

View attachment 18382

I'ld call it a definite evidence that early series Alpines came with chrome exhaust tips from the factory. I think I can say so because this S2 is a completely original California black plate car which stood in a Garage untouched for at least 40 years...

I have a complete set of TIGER dual exhaust and the ends of the tail pipes are also chromed ..... I thought it odd that the ends are chromed and the tail pipe is one piece all the way up to the muffler.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Dan,

Yes when i first saw a stock setup i thiught how odd it is to chrome a part of a part thats not detachable, but they sure did.

If you have a full stock system in good shape take some pics. Be good to post the photos on CAT too.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Michael, I have one but it is so badly rusted that it can't be used for anything but to make a duplicate!

Wonder if it would be worth the effort to duplicate? Anyone want a new system?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, I have one but it is so badly rusted that it can't be used for anything but to make a duplicate!

Wonder if it would be worth the effort to duplicate? Anyone want a new system?

Dan a dead stock system would interest the concourse guys... But thats a post for CAT and TEAE probably

65beam

Donation Time
About five years ago I carried an NOS Tiger exhaust system from Ohio to Colorado where I handed it over to Dale A who took it on to Norm Miller. It was a one piece system. Don't remember if it had chrome tips.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I went out to my lower shop and took a couple photos of my original Tiger with stock exhaust tail pipes. They are chrome at the ends and match the approximate length and welding technique of Bernd's Alpine example.

upload_2020-1-2_12-53-29.pngupload_2020-1-2_12-54-1.png

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Another great discovery. Didn't know that you also have Tiger ;).What's red car lurking in the back ?

All we'ld need now would be to find a late series Alpine with an original chrome exhaust tip...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are two PIC's of a Tiger Dual Exhaust Factory original system - Badly rusted, but believe not twisted out of shape. The tail pipe was chromed out toward the ends ...
Original Tiger dual exhaust chrome tail pipes - badly rusted      20191231_162911.jpg Original Tiger dual exhaust chrome tail pipes - badly rusted      20191231_162851.jpg

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bernd, the carnival red car in the background is an original Series III GT. I am the second owner. The orange car in the other photo's background is a FiberFab Jamaican II with a very rare factory frame for a Corvette engine and drive train.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The factory tiger exhaust had chromed tips[/QUOTE.

Not disputing whether "some" factory systems did or did not have "only" a particular end on the exhaust pipes.

The pictures taken of the exhaust in my shop are all "original" parts from an original Tiger. The ends approximately 18" were factory chromed just like the ones on the Sunbeam in prior POST.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
All we'ld need now would be to find a late series Alpine with an original chrome exhaust tip...

Here ya go, pics of my 1966 SV original exhaust. First is an under carriage shot just after hauling the Alpine home. Second is of the full length of exhaust after having to cut it into sections in order to remove it. Third shows the last portion of the exhaust flipped over to show the contrasting buffed out chrome.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rJaodLLhJxsiKdVv9

Last edited:

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Oliver,

The Tecalemit decals look great on the Harrington. You did send me some way back when the donor cannister traveled to the UK and back....so thanks again! I just need a car worthy of their use.

I notice in the Basil link he finally got his trampoline, but I'm not sure about his trousers.... I had no idea he had a Silver Shadow either, he seems more like Jensen CV8 kinda guy to me.

65beam

Donation Time
Took some photos of exhaust pieces from my stock. One is a chrome tail pipe and the other is the long muffler and exhaust tip for early Alpines110_1057.JPG 110_1058.JPG 110_1061.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I also have a New Chrome piece like you POSTED... connected to the Muffler with the chrome from the muffler to the end of the pipe (angle end too).