• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1967 Alpine “Barn Find”

VetteGuy

Donation Time
Hi folks!

I’d like to first thank the board for allowing me to post. I live in Central Florida and have stumbled across a free car that might be of interest to you. The story....I smoke cigars at Mt. Dora Cigars with many well-to-do senior gentleman. They seem to take a shine to me as I’m a youngster at only 55 years of age. One of the fellows has a friend who unfortunately is going to hospice and his family needs to sell his house and simply remove a car he has stored under a car port since 1975. The car is apparently a 1967 Sunbeam Alpine V. As you can see in the pictures, it wasn’t properly stored, but appears to have been used as a table, with boards and other stuff placed on top. It doesn’t look like water was getting to it consistently, but it is a convertible that was open to the elements for almost 45 years. I don’t know why it was parked and the owner is no longer able to communicate. The car is offfered free to me if I can tow it off the property.

As evidenced in my user name, I’m a Corvette guy and have garage restored several cars over the years. The car looks to be 100% intact from what I can see from its current location. It looks to be original paint on a body never hit and I pried the hood up a bit to see what appears to the original motor etc. I could only find one small spot of rust on the body where two panels where joined. Other than that, it appears to be a solid resto candidate.

So...this about the sum total of what I know regarding this car. I’ve got a spot to store it while I try to sell it, but I also have a wife who would likely object if it sat for months during the process. So, to make my life easier, does an Alpine in this rather unknown condition have value? With the info I have, what is the low/high side value I could expect if I pull it out and put it up for sale? The slam dunk would be one of you guys who are reasonably close coming to the extraction, buying it and delivering it to your garage for restoration.

The Alpines are real cool and I’d love to fix it up myself, but another long term project isn’t in the cards for me at this time. So...what do you guys think? Is it worth the effort and likely $350 to get the car out and towed to my property?

Attachments

• 2574574C-698E-4E2E-B6E8-01035D57C6AB.jpeg
    2574574C-698E-4E2E-B6E8-01035D57C6AB.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 150
  • C37B5C59-304E-4DC2-81F4-BB83EDEB68CD.jpeg
    C37B5C59-304E-4DC2-81F4-BB83EDEB68CD.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 148

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
VetteGuy,

Kind of hard to tell much under the stuff in your pics.

Keep in mind though that a Rapier in your described condition might be worth more in the UK than the US.

So many variables. . .

Have fun,
Don

VetteGuy

Donation Time
Thanks! We are set to drag it out of the mess next week. I’ll take some more pics when I get her home and cleaned up a bit.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
I would love to find one of these cars closer to home in Ontario Canada. I tried to save a Rapier back in 2006 and I would love to find another good project car. I was only able to save the parts as my Rapier was rusted away from the bottom of the doors down. Saved as many parts as I could along with the glass, my car was not a convertible. Carful, they really grow on you and if I can help with some parts please feel free to ask.