• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sure glad your hand is healing! Working the fingers without straining them will speed along recovery.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
It was time for some R&R so I went to see the Lantern Festival in Chiang Mai Thailand, so much fun. Next stop Singapore, such a lovely, clean country with great food and cleaniness. Then off to Indonesia, Bali was wonderful, next stop Ubud. OMG ran into a corrupt cop telling me that the scooter I had rented from my Hotel had papers that were not acceptable and wanted to write a ticket for me to come back to court in one week (while they hold the scooter). It was soon apparent that this guy was very corrupt. His "fine" was $500,000.00 (about $35.71 US dollars). Paid the bribe to get the hell out of there and came back to the Hotel to tell them what happened. They felt bad and paid us back and apoligizing for the corruption we experienced.
In the end I am not saying don't go to Bali, I am saying most everyone here is very nice, honest and helpful. But when dealing with the Police, they are most likely corrupt. Try to forget this and move on.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Creful Dan, you are dating yourself, LOL
Lovely peoples for sure and so affordable. Any plans to go back a visit againg?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Naw! At near 80, Gave up on that! Now my time is keep'n the Sunbeams on the Road:)

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The passenger gas tank is taking longer than I expected since I added two baffles and had to modify the filler neck lowet into the tank body to clear everything. Ran out of welding gas and my supplier only had had a 40 CF tank that I could use for now. Will carry on with that until I run out again. Merry Christmas to all my Alpine brothers out there.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Running out of gas is a standard thing for an olde man:) "Like me!"

Merry Christmas to you TOO! And A Happy New Year!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Well gas tanks are done with the modifications and welding. I was able to make the mounts for the tanks in the trunk and fixed all pinholes from welding. Next step is the cleaning with Muriatic acid and water then seal the inside of the tanks. Will post some pictures soon.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The decision was made not to use the Muriatic acid, just too dangerous and no responsible way to dispose of it after use. Waiting for citric acid to arrive, in the mean time I need some help from you folks. Pictures of the center part of the body where the bumper is. Since the rear bumper needs to be wider, I am contemplating either to make it a split bumper or one piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Both tanks are done even with the wet weather. Finished welding them and sealing any pinholes etc. The citric acid/Vinegar/water mix worked very well and is biodegradable. Then I used Por-15™ to coat the inside of both tanks, it takes 96 hours for that to cure before putting to use. I also applied the sealant to the inside of the modified filler tube, crossover pipe, so far so good.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Passenger tank test fit, you can see the drain pipe at the bottom of the trunk under the gas tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_112649.jpg
    IMG_20190117_112649.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 46

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Drivers tank test fit, need to modify the rear mount. Not happy with it at the moment.

Attachments

• Driver side fuel tank.jpg
    Driver side fuel tank.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 33

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Crossover pipe installed and connected to the main tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20190123_123521.jpg
    IMG_20190123_123521.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 28

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I had to make a spare tire hold down, took two pieces from the Benz and cut them in half to make them longer and welded them to a large washer. Tried to find large wingnut thinking I would attach it to a threaded rod cut to fit, but could not find one I liked. So what was found was a eyelet with threads that needed to be cut to Metric. Very secure as you can see

Attachments

• IMG_20190124_152216.jpg
    IMG_20190124_152216.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 33