• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

swap or not to swap, that is my question

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Dan, DITTO what I said to Bill. Plus, some memories are best forgotten...like a neighbors cat kneading her paws on my brand new 1932 Ford Roll & Pleat interior. Before the day was over she got a Berrymans B12 rectal exam, and NEVER visited my driveway again! I love dogs and cats, but if their owners refuse to train them, someone must.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Ah, lets make memories to forget.--isn't that a great idea. and just remember the good.
Reminds me of an old Barbara Streisand song.
Leaning to the swap. What could go wrong ??
Bob

Charles Johns

Donation Time
bobbo, at 75 I have lots of memories, and the "Good old days had bad days too"! I was on an Aircraft Carrier in the Mediterranean when JFK was killed in my hometown of Dallas in 1963. That same month a very good friend gave his last breath to save his pilot. Walter Edward Langley was last seen alive holding Lt. Dixon with his outstretched arm, so Mr. Dixon could breathe above the water. He surrendered his soul to his God rather than save himself. That pilot was my maintenance department officer. I remember the heroics of what Langley did, but prefer to remember the Liberty we shared in Genoa Italy just 2 days before his death, when he shopped for his new son's first birthday gift. A birthday he would never celebrate. We shipmates called him Chip, one of the better saints I have met in this life.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
"Good old days had bad days too"! I was on an Aircraft Carrier in the Mediterranean when JFK was killed in my hometown of Dallas in 1963.

Charlie, Your memories reminded me of where I was that "bad day".... I was on the South Pole at Williams Field playing cards with my fellow Ice Dwellers when the "TT" started clackin'

I have a copy of the message that announced JFK had been killed.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
WOW, I had forgotten I was sitting in Ready Room 6 at about 0100 (Day/Night get mixed up on ship) when the Tele-Type started clicking. I enlisted as an ADR (Reciprocating Engine Mechanic) but while freezing my butt off on the flight-line changing/cleaning strainers on an R3450, an officer asked if anyone could type. I dropped my wrench and headed to the warm hanger office. My senior year I had enough credits to graduate and I had 2 study-halls and was not allowed 3. I had to take a "solid" course and typing was where the girls were...so I could type. I instantly became an AZ (Aviation Maintenance Administrationman) keeping log books and scheduling workload on airplanes. Also, we shared a hanger at Quonset Point, RI with some guys you may have met. VX-6 was the Navy South Pole squadron and they flew C130's...sometimes using JATO on takeoff. This was in the 1960's. I remember them coming back from the Ice and having beards and playing tennis and baseball outside, when us regular Navy guys said they were crazy playing in the snow.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
VX-6 was the Navy South Pole squadron and they flew C130's...sometimes using JATO on takeoff.

Yep!! It was VX Sqd and their C130's we worked with some. We had C130E models fitted in some cases with ski's for a little further inland work.

Best Duty I ever had was the Operation "Deep Freeze" South Pole 90 degrees South. We worked out of Christchurch, New Zealand... Man what a life:) Hunting and fishing was the Greatest ever.

britbeam

Donation Time
The matter of swapping out the 1725 for the 2.8 is back on my mind, as our driving season is coming to a close.
I have the engine, have the 5 speed, have the bell housing, have the new oil pan and pick-up.
A lot of what I read however seems to point to a number of finiky and perhaps costly details that need to be overcome during the swap.
Maybe I'm just starting to think a lot of issues will crop up, causing my own anxiety.
Would love to hear from guys who have put in the 2.8 and the issues they have had to overcome.
Next will be the Kit to do the swap, but I don't think it ends there.
Thanks Bob

Hi Bob,
Just my 2 cents I have accomplished the V6 Mod to my S2 Alpine. Never have regretted doing it. Yes one mod brings on another and another. Its all part of the package. I have the 2.8 Ford with 5speed and original alpine rear diff. I live in a mountainous area now and the Alpine rear diff is ideal. The mod has made my Alpine a car that I can travel anywhere in. Troubles ? I haven't had any. I drove the V6 Alpine today. Big smiles wherever I go . I did use the V6 Jose kit. What can I say it works. Its been on the road aprox 24,000 miles with the V6. Yes there are more additions ect I would like to do but only time will tell. DO IT you wont regret it.

Dwain V6 Krazy

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Downloaded and printed Dan R's publication, " How to convert your -----V6". Looks like a wonderful explanation along with pic's.
60 some odd pages of great reading and help for the process.
Looks like the SV swap is a go. Excited, other than working on the house, this will be my first retirement adventure.
Thanks all for your comments and thoughts.
Bob