• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1966 SV Soft Top Closing/latching?

OCalpine

Donation Time
Hey guys - (I am attaching some photos of my problem)

I have a 1966 V that I bought ~2 years ago. The soft top has never closed/latched properly and I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions?

Here are my questions:
When I try to put the top up, I first attach the front "bar" to the tensioner rods and flip the assembly forward. The problem is that the "bar" (attached to the soft top material) gets very tight when it is still inches from the top of the windshield/latch? I can put a ton of weight on it and get it to about an inch from the windshield/latching, but it is still way to tight/small to latch properly or snugly? (it seems that I am missing a weather strip between the soft top and the windshield too - looks like SS has these for $25 - also, I have replaced those buggy little tension rod ends a number of times... they keep breaking, but it sounds like this is typical.)

On my main problem of the roof not coming within 2"-3" of closing:
- Maybe the soft top is the wrong size/one for my car?
- Maybe the soft top material has shrunk and this is why it does not come close to closing?
- Any ideas?

Thank you
Steve
Orange County, California

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 47

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes you are missing the seal.. As for the tension rods, they do not break.. The springs pop off them. You seem to be missing the adjustable nut/socket on the end of the rod... Did you break those forcing the top down?

Now... While you need to correct both the above, its quite clear the top has not been installed correctly.. Id guess its been put on to short at the rear of the body.. Or if an old top the vynil has shrunk and now it wont make the front.. You can stretch a top with heat... But i would guess yours may be a bit to far.

OCalpine

Donation Time
Yes you are missing the seal.. As for the tension rods, they do not break.. The springs pop off them. You seem to be missing the adjustable nut/socket on the end of the rod... Did you break those forcing the top down?

Now... While you need to correct both the above, its quite clear the top has not been installed correctly.. Id guess its been put on to short at the rear of the body.. Or if an old top the vynil has shrunk and now it wont make the front.. You can stretch a top with heat... But i would guess yours may be a bit to far.

Thank you. I have the adjuster nut/sockets... they are the things that break on me - probably because the top is so tight. Is there a way that the rear of the soft top can be adjusted? How does it attach? Thank you

alpine_64

Donation Time
The rear of the top is retained behind a metal strip that holds the skirt of the top to the body along with a rubber seal.

Depending how short it's been fitted you may be able to remove the retainer and bring the top up a bit... But if the holes from where it was fitted become exposed above the seal then you wont have a weather proof top.

Post some photos of the top up around the back and also on the vertical bowes where the top is also attached to the frame

OCalpine

Donation Time
The rear of the top is retained behind a metal strip that holds the skirt of the top to the body along with a rubber seal.

Depending how short it's been fitted you may be able to remove the retainer and bring the top up a bit... But if the holes from where it was fitted become exposed above the seal then you wont have a weather proof top.

Post some photos of the top up around the back and also on the vertical bowes where the top is also attached to the frame
thank you

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure if these PIC's will help you? Also don't think the side flaps will be causing your problem?

Maybe like Michael said the installer may have taken too much off the rear of the top materiel when doing the work....

Attachments

• 20180908_132151.jpg
    20180908_132151.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180908_132026.jpg
    20180908_132026.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180908_132040.jpg
    20180908_132040.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 40

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
check your hinges that come up from behind the side windows. these can become very stiff and not raise into proper position.
Bobbo

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Those hinges are also supposed to allow the vertical window posts to move outward a little bit, which would make the height of the top bow slightly lower. Many installers tighten the screws too tight to allow the 'squat'.