• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

side trim

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
anyone installed the "tiger" side trim on their alpine ?
I love what that thin strip of stainless does to the look of the car.
Thinking of ordering a set from SS.
Bobbo

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I have some pic's of some with the side trim and often thought of doing the same as it is a nice look. But only on a somewhat non-orig. as drilling holes in all the panels of an original might hurt:eek:!

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I think the Alpine script should be fairly close to the Tiger script, although a little longer.
not sure how that might affect the trim placement on the fender.
send one of those pics if you can SoCal.
Thanks Bobbo

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's been done for a long time. The cars are essentially the same and the trim fits an
Alpine just like it does a Tiger.

Cheers!
Steve

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
There is a club PDF on its placement but as I was told do all but do the doors last and make sure they are adjusted like you want them.

Attachments

• Tiger Side Molding Holes Placement.PDF
    416.9 KB · Views: 36

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Can you work out a way to use 3M VHB tape? Even if it means making new clips with some additional clearance to keep things flush, it beats drilling holes.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
wow, thats a lot of holes. ( pdf from Warren ) Not done right a lot of rust opportunities too.
tape may be a lot smarter.
Thanks

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
When I restore a car I weld up every badge hole on an Alpine (front badge holes lead to rot in the lower front wing, boot (trunk) lid badge holes rot out the lower lip of the boot lid) and I attach every badge with badge tape. Why wouldn't you do this? It looks the same, is much better for the car and the badges stay on permanently without problem. Unless you live somewhere like a desert I would never, ever drill any extra holes in the car!

Tim R

P1100258.jpg P1130383.jpg P1130414.jpg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Doesn't matter to me what method one uses, I was just sharing information. The Sunbeam specialties trim clips aren't great in plastic and come off often and they have to make a home brew clip near the ends. It's harder to clean a car cluttered up with letters posts for tonneau covers....

65beam

Donation Time
Closing up all the holes sounds like a good idea in wet climates. Some of the photos I've seen of rusty cars in the U.K. would dictate extreme protective measures. One of the rusted areas I've noticed in various photos is the scuttle area. One over looked area is on the A post side of the scuttle vents . There was sealer that was inside the vent area towards the A post. There is a gap between the top body panel and inner panels. If this sealer breaks up water not only runs into other areas but will leak thru onto your feet. Tiger Auto has restored a few Alpines for me and the first thing he does is to open up all the panels and then he sends the car to the dipper. After going thru the dipping and cleaning all the rust is history. Then he scrubs the car and uses epoxy to coat it and proceeds with body work. Something else he did to the series 4 was to add metal in the top rear of the area where the fender meets the A post/inner fender so it would not require filling an inch wide area with seam sealer.107_0510.JPG He also uses a 3M spray under coating on these interior panels. inside frame rails, etc. The amber you see in this photo is the undercoating that was sprayed inside the frame rails after painting and is about to be cleaned off. When it's time to install badges or side trim you'll find that a spot of clear sealer is applied to the pins which seals the openings. He did this to our current Harrington project when he installed the side trim a couple months back.

chubby

Donation Time
I just had 50 holes drilled to fit the tiger molding. I got the molding and fasteners from SS.

Locations to drill supplied Rick.

Attachments

• 52FD371E-7CC5-4762-A646-4C7FD8472A23.jpeg
    52FD371E-7CC5-4762-A646-4C7FD8472A23.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 30

65beam

Donation Time
You drilled the holes prior to painting which is good. No risk of chipping paint and the hole will be painted when you install the mouldings.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
index.php

Bob, What are the two holes (?) in the plate covering the X frame near the exhaust bracket?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
John, Your guess may be correct. Just odd in that particluar spot for drain?

My SIV's and SV's have a drain hole in the approximate center of the bottom plate.

I was wondering if they are for fastening something, but, that did not seem logical?

65beam

Donation Time
John, Your guess may be correct. Just odd in that particluar spot for drain?

My SIV's and SV's have a drain hole in the approximate center of the bottom plate.

I was wondering if they are for fastening something, but, that did not seem logical?
Dan,
Does your car have this bracing? This is the series 4 after being dipped. This car was built a couple days before Christmas and had an auto tunnel installed at the factory even though it left Pressed steel with a four speed..107_0167.JPG

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, it's stuck on everything I've asked of it. (Like brake controllers to dashboards, phone and camera mounts, signs to poles, etc.) But I won't be attaching trunk letters to the car until next spring.
Auto manufacturers have used it for trim and bling for several years, though.
Trailer mfg's use it to stick on siding to utility trailers for a fastener-free look... and that has actual structural constraints, too.

There are high-temp and aircraft variants, too. Here's some application info from the horse's mouth, as it were...
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tap...MIj9H4l8WI3gIVBVYMCh0AwgjOEAAYASAAEgLsI_D_BwE

Lots more info shows up in a google search, including both company propaganda and "here-hold-my-beer-and-watch-this" videos on YouTube.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it to stick on side trim, letters, badges, or misc. bling. Creating a flat surface on the bottom of the trim would be key, to increase the bondable surface area. I would bet it would even hold on outside rear-view mirrors with the prep below, if you stayed away from car washes. My plan on the trunk letters is to grind off the pins and fill the cavities with epoxy. Let that cure, then apply tape, Xacto to shape with slight undercut, align, pray, and apply after cleaning the surface. While it's difficult to rip off, it does respond to cutting with dental floss thru the foam, then rubbing/rolling up the adhesive with your thumb/fingers. Plastic razor blades can do the job, but more aggressive tools risk the surface finish, as you might guess.

For long skinny trim held on by widely-spaced clips, the task would be to get things flush. But 100% tape coverage might be too much, and would make trim proud of the car's surface by 1/16" or so. So the task would be to get the clips to have a tape-installed height the same as a screwed-on install. I'm not up to speed on what those clips are like, but I'm guessing they would need to be slightly recessed (to tape thickness) before applying tape in that recess. It may be necessary to use more clips to build up total surface area. Designing and 3-D printing clips that are 'just right' might be the best bet, instead of sourcing and modifying original-style clips.

Do you have a close-up photo of the clips?

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Plastic clips for the trim are shown on Classic Sunbeam's web site. Curt is using photos now instead of sketches for parts, so it gives a pretty good indication of the clip.
Bob

alpine_64

Donation Time
The plastic clips rick sells are ( or were) vw items iirc and hold the trim on further out than original metal rivets.

Cant recall if the new clips worth with original trim or just repro