• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dual strombergs - sputters at high speed.

Jim

Donation Time
67 series V Alpine. It seems like the carb bowl is running empty. After a few seconds at wide open, it starts sputtering and wont go above a certain speed, Around 70mph.
I tried turning out the jet at the bottom of the carb, but that doesn't seem to help. It runs good until that time.
I have an electric fuel pump, so I don't think flow to the carbs is a problem
How do I get it to get more gas to the carbs?

Thanks

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
FYI, A time is fast approaching when all gas will be an ethanol blend. We have no source for non ethanol gas here in Ohio other than recreational gas which is an item you don't want to pump into your car. It doesn't have the federal or state excise tax included. My opinion is to set your cars up for ethanol use.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Have your gas tanks been cleaned and re-coated? If not, it could be an accumulation of black paint in the line. I have had this happen where my SV reached a maximum speed for a short time and then would start sputtering. That maximum got lower and lower.

Electric fuel pumps can get gummed up by paint, too. Just ask any Tiger owner! Do you have a filter?

I haven't had any problem like this from running ethanol blends but I have had to switch to the mid-grade octane.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Have your gas tanks been cleaned and re-coated? If not, it could be an accumulation of black paint in the line. I have had this happen where my SV reached a maximum speed for a short time and then would start sputtering. That maximum got lower and lower.

Electric fuel pumps can get gummed up by paint, too. Just ask any Tiger owner! Do you have a filter?

I haven't had any problem like this from running ethanol blends but I have had to switch to the mid-grade octane.
Dick,
To blend an 87 octane with 10 % ethanol the terminal starts with what is called a sub grade fuel. Usually an 84 or 85 octane gas. The ethanol is an octane booster that when blended with the gas raises the octane to an 87 octane range. The ethanol is stored at the terminal and is blended with the sub grade gas when being loaded onto delivery tankers. Various brands of gas come out of a terminal and the additives for these brands are also blended when being loaded. We have very few stores in this part of the world that carry an 89 and I don't know of any that now carry a 92 or 93 except for Kroger grocery stores fuel locations. I've found a lot of 85 being sold as I crossed the Rockies on my trips to California and other west coast locations. Mid grade was 87. My cars set several months at a time so I keep a few gallons in the tank because gas does have a shelf life. Gas blended with ethanol will absorb water which doesn't ignite too well.
I recently checked a metal fuel line that was on a parts car and the line was almost totally blocked by junk. Reduced flow to the carbs could be the problem.

jfcroni

Donation Time
Could be the tanks aren't venting enough. Try running with the gas cap loose. If the tanks are not venting, a vacuum will be created and the pump will not be able to overcome it. Just a thought.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
We are fortunate here in Sunny South Carolina, lots of 93 octane non etho.

I run it in all my motors whether weed eaters of Alpines

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
If ethanol gas is the problem, I have been told that aviation fuel is a possibility. I have never tried it and am not an expert. If you have a small local airport, they may have non ethanol for sale. I have been tempted but here in Oregon a station that sells non ethanol is the station closest to my home. I use non ethanol exclusively in my series v with stromberg carbs and have never experienced your problem. Hard to believe we would lose our non ethanol options-- every lawn mower owner in the state would be upset.
Andrew

65beam

Donation Time
My mower and everyone else's around here runs on ethanol. There's nothing else to buy. There are tax breaks in many states to encourage the use of ethanol. We sell a lot of biodiesel and E 85 out of our card locks for use in government vehicles.

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
I had a very similar problem but at a lower speed. A fleck of died made it to above the float needle restricti g flow..