• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Light Switch

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
Hello:

Can anyone help me find a replacement electric switch for the brake light? This is the unit that works off the brake pedal installed in the cabin; non-hydraulic. The 'button' on the original switch no longer releases when the brake pedal is depressed.

Thanks,

Randy in River Falls

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hello:

Can anyone help me find a replacement electric switch for the brake light? This is the unit that works off the brake pedal installed in the cabin; non-hydraulic. The 'button' on the original switch no longer releases when the brake pedal is depressed.

Thanks,

Randy in River Falls

Randy,

The factory brake light switch on Tigers and series Alpines was mounted in the engine bay on the inside of the right inner fender and was actuated by brake hydraulic pressure. If you have a mechanical switch that works off the brake pedal, it was a replacement for the factory setup.

Where did you get the mechanical switch setup that works off the brake pedal?

Member Bill Blue offered a mechanical switch and bracket package at one time; I suggest that you contact him via PM.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill Blue is still offering an excellent replacement for the Alpine. I have one of his creations:)

65beam

Donation Time
Sunbeam started using this brake light switch on Alpines and Alpine GT's in 1968. It's sets in a bracket under the dash in the steering column area with the plunger lined up with the brake pedal arm. The pedal arm holds the plunger in and as the pedal is pushed the plunger pops out and turns on the brake light. Very similar to Bill's set up.110_0426.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
Joel,
Pretty much tells the story. I couldn't take a photo because the 69 is in one of the trailers.

zimme008

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the replies and additional information! I've found a replacement switch at my local NAPA and will pick up later today.

I had to complete a track tour at Road America this past weekend and had little confidence my brake lights were working :(. Unfortunately, due to inclement weather the rest of the weekend, I didn't get the Tiger out from under the cover until it was time to go home.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Randy has one of my kits, which means the switch is a standard GM item, used by GM and others for about 20 years and was a common parts "rack" item. No longer, at least around here. I just ask for 65 Chevy Biscayne brake light switch.

Bill

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Anyone have the NAPA part # for the Hydraulic switch, engine bay mounted.
Would like to source locally as shipping from the States is worth twice as much as the part.

Thanks bob