• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Series IV headlight issue

louis_b95

Donation Time
I recently bought a '65 Alpine series IV (RHD, chassis B941) and it has an issue with it's right headlight.

When I turn the light switch fully down, only the left headlight works. But when I pull the turn signal switch towards the steering wheel, both headlights seem to work fine. So the filament of the headlight should be fine I guess.
Grounding should also be fine, as they are bolted onto the body in the engine compartment.

I think there could be a problem with the floor dip switch. When it is pressed, the left headlight turns off. Shouldn't it just dim the headlights?

Could anyone help me understand the problem?

Thanks!
Louis

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Louis, I have had similar problems with my ALpines at various times...Most likely for me it has almost always been the ground.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Sounds like the low-beam filament on that side is burned out. Since it's sealed beam, repair is to replace. You can test by moving the other light to that position. Steering column switch probably flashes the high beams.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken, you just may be right, however He said both headlights seemed to work... at different times?

louis_b95

Donation Time
Dan, both headlights work only when I engage the steering column switch.
Ken, I didn't know there were different filaments for low- and high beam. Seems like a good suggestion to move the working light to the other position.

This leaves me with the other question about the dip switch: the working (left) light turns of when I press the switch. Does this mean that the left low-beam filament is also burned out? I tought this switch should turn high beam into low beam.

Louis

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Louis, each headlight has two filaments. The Low beam filament is lower power and positioned inside the bulb such that the lightbeam is directed slightly downward. The High Beam filament is slightly higher power and is positioned in side the bulb to direct the lightbeam upward a bit. Both filaments use the same ground pin and path. Normally only one or the other is powered at the same time. The foot dimmer switch switches from Low beam filament to High beam filament or vice versa, each time it is actuated. I think it actually lights up both filaments momentarily halfway thru the action, after it is stepped on and before it is released. I think the column switch will energize the High Beam filament anytime it is pulled, regardless of whether the light switch is on or not.

From your description, If I understand your descriptions , I think the left High Beam filament is bad, and the right Low Beam filament is also bad.

There is no problem with the floor dimmer switch.

Tom

Last edited:

louis_b95

Donation Time
Thanks for all the useful help!

After reconnecting the headlight on the right, it seems to work again (but only in high beam). So I will recplace the headlight with a new one.
Any recommendations for which brand to choose from? I found these online: http://www.victoriabritish.com/features/sun/SUNLHL.htm

Does somebody has an idea what the difference is between 1 set of part #10-617 and 2 seperate lights of part #10-627?

Louis

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The sealed beam units have been out of production for a long time, so any available replacements will be second hand or old stock. In either case they often fail quickly and I would recommend sourcing a conversion kit to change to separate reflectors and bulbs. The sealed beam units are a standard 9 inch size used on many British cars of the period (e.g. MGBs and Minis) and conversion kits are available in the UK and I'd expect in the USA too. You should get a better light output as well, especially if you can upgrade to halogen bulbs, although as you have a SIV, you would need to change the charging system from a dynamo (generator) to an alternator.

Regards

Steve G

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently went to LED headlamp replacements sold by fellow Sunbeam owner Joe Parlanti for my series V. They are a huge upgrade compared to the original headlamps, with significantly lower current draw.

http://www.velocesolutionsllc.com/LED-Headlight-Kit-Head-Kit-1.htm

I'm not sure these LED headlamps are a drop-in for a positive ground series IV, since LEDs need a specific polarity. Other SAOCA folks might know. Contact Joe if interested.

Mike

loose_electron

Donation Time
There are LED headlights available that will drop in place to the sealed beams that are there. Look the same, drop in replacement, a lot brighter and take less current. Money well spent.

You can test the lights out of the car with a couple wires and a battery, before you start spending money.

loose_electron

Donation Time
The sealed beam units have been out of production for a long time, so any available replacements will be second hand or old stock. In either case they often fail quickly and I would recommend sourcing a conversion kit to change to separate reflectors and bulbs. The sealed beam units are a standard 9 inch size used on many British cars of the period (e.g. MGBs and Minis) and conversion kits are available in the UK and I'd expect in the USA too. You should get a better light output as well, especially if you can upgrade to halogen bulbs, although as you have a SIV, you would need to change the charging system from a dynamo (generator) to an alternator.

Regards

Steve G

Pretty sure they are 7 inch sealed beam and a loot of places still make them, or a halogen drop in, or a LED drop in. I got the LED ones.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I agree with Jerry. Any decent autoparts store (and probably Walmart) will have a round halogen bulb that will fit. If you go that route, you should replace both - you don't want a mismatched set.
TR

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I recently went to LED headlamp replacements sold by fellow Sunbeam owner Joe Parlanti for my series V. They are a huge upgrade compared to the original headlamps, with significantly lower current draw.

http://www.velocesolutionsllc.com/LED-Headlight-Kit-Head-Kit-1.htm

I'm not sure these LED headlamps are a drop-in for a positive ground series IV, since LEDs need a specific polarity. Other SAOCA folks might know. Contact Joe if interested.

Mike

So I strolled by that site. Actually wanted to see what the headlights look like when they're both on, and off. Website graphics arranged so they cover every single exterior light on the Tiger shown. Oops.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
They are a huge upgrade. If you have original headlamps, go with Joe's LED kit. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Mike