• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ignition switch wiring

dmich2

Donation Time
OK. As my re-wiring saga continues, I decided when ordering new panel switches I'd also replace the aftermarket ignition switch the PO had installed. All good, nice new ignition switch and tumbler with keys. :)

However, there are no numbers on the posts. Hummm. It's probably something really simple (like me) but as always, this is the place to turn. Here's a photo of the new switch. Anyone want to help me out here?

I'm thinking the double tabbed one at 6 oclock is for the tail lights & dash lights....maybe?

sunbeam switch.jpg

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mich, starting with the single terminal , that is #3. And going clockwise as you look at the terminals they should be numbered: #4, # 1, #2

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
#3 is the START terminal and goes to the solenoid terminal that engages the solenoid to crank the starter.

#1 is the input from the battery, via connection to the battery terminal on the solenoid, Brown circuit in original harness, also originally goes to the fuseholder. In the original wiring the headlights, taillights, dashlights, are powered directly from this Brown circuit, raw power from the battery - no switch , no fuse.

#2 is the RUN terminal, White circuit in original wiring. This is the main power OUT , goes to power everything that is supposed to have power when the switch is in the Run position and the car is running, goes to the coil and also to the fusebox where most circuits , other than coil and lights, get distributed thru a fuse.

#4 is the Accessory terminal, it gets power, same as the #2 Run terminal, whenever the switch is in the Run position, but also when the switch is in the Accessory position, i.e. key turned fully CCW. You would wire the radio, Cigarette lighter, and other accessories to this terminal, any circuit you might want powered when the car is NOT running but you'd like the radio, etc still working.

Tom

dmich2

Donation Time
I just realized I confused the double pronged tabs at 6 oclock with the light switch hookup . The dash/tail-light don't connect to the ignition switch.....duh..

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Dennis

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
#3 is the START terminal and goes to the solenoid terminal that engages the solenoid to crank the starter.

#1 is the input from the battery, via connection to the battery terminal on the solenoid, Brown circuit in original harness, also originally goes to the fuseholder. In the original wiring the headlights, taillights, dashlights, are powered directly from this Brown circuit, raw power from the battery - no switch , no fuse.

#2 is the RUN terminal, White circuit in original wiring. This is the main power OUT , goes to power everything that is supposed to have power when the switch is in the Run position and the car is running, goes to the coil and also to the fusebox where most circuits , other than coil and lights, get distributed thru a fuse.

#4 is the Accessory terminal, it gets power, same as the #2 Run terminal, whenever the switch is in the Run position, but also when the switch is in the Accessory position, i.e. key turned fully CCW. You would wire the radio, Cigarette lighter, and other accessories to this terminal, any circuit you might want powered when the car is NOT running but you'd like the radio, etc still working.

Tom
Perfect explanation Tom....I think Dennis said there were no numbers on the terminals....a multi meter can sort this out, especially with the single terminal (3) as a known factor. Again, good explanation. Thanks...

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
NO! The double contacts are not separately numbered.
#3, OK, Then CW is #4, like you show, but the second tab on #4 is still #4. Then #1 - BOTH tabs, then the last pair is #2, both tabs

Tom