• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Switch mounting in wooden dash??

dmich2

Donation Time
I'm in the process of rewiring my SIV. I purchased all new switches for the blower, wipers, lights and panel from Classic Sunbeam . I have an after market wooden dash, i.e., my brother custom made the dash using a blank loaned to me as the pattern. He used a solid piece of oak in cutting out the dash.

My question: As the new wood dash is about 1/2" thick the threaded "stem" of the switches do not extend out far enough to connect the benzel. I realize it will involved some sort of drilling and/or making a recessed cavern on the back side of the dash to accommodate the square-like main body of the switch and also allow the threaded stem to pass through the dash and attach the benzel. However, even with doing that it would appear the stem's length only allows for a rather thin portion of dash thickness to remain to allow the benzel to catch the threads. Is it to say 1/4" or less of dash thickness is to be expected in mounting these switches to a wooden dash? I believe original were a veneer product and not solid as mine. Right?

Dennis

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dennis, My original wooden dash measures .257 inches for the place you are referring to!

What are you using to fasten the dash and heater controls with? Do you have the tabs?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Is it to say 1/4" or less of dash thickness is to be expected in mounting these switches to a wooden dash? I believe original were a veneer product and not solid as mine. Right?
Correct on both points. I can't measure an OEM dash, but have an NOS solid walnut dash that was purchased from VB. (I am not sure how old it is, but it has a receipt showing it cost $199 when purchased vs. $360 today.) The cutouts for the switches are a hair under 1/4", while those around the gauges are just a little more, about 5/16". Here are a couple of photos that might help:

Attachments

• IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 67

dmich2

Donation Time
Correct on both points. I can't measure an OEM dash, but have an NOS solid walnut dash that was purchased from VB. (I am not sure how old it is, but it has a receipt showing it cost $199 when purchased vs. $360 today.) The cutouts for the switches are a hair under 1/4", while those around the gauges are just a little more, about 5/16". Here are a couple of photos that might help:

Thanks Jim. The photos helped a lot.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Mike. I like the original burled walnut better than the 'un-burled' solid ones, but it is nice. I often wonder how it compares to the ones VB sells today. I've had it for about 8 years but still haven't decided what to do with it. I'll probably won't know for sure until my V6 is finished. Some day.

65beam

Donation Time
Jim,
You said the magic words. VB! The dash you have is probably much better than what they now carry. Since Long passed it's only gone down.109_0341.JPG LMC always had a good reputation with truck parts but is starting to have problems shipping the correct truck parts. The owner of the upholstery shop we use is doing work on his 69 chevy truck and they can't seem to get anything right. He told me Monday that they told him they have no tech department that can help him. How long before they're out of the Sunbeam business Here's a photo of a dash that Rick @ SS had made for me. Marine plywood with veneer over that.