• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starter Motor

fred1725

Donation Time
I haven't had to replace a starter in a long time, but I do now.
I seem to recall being able to remove it without dropping the exhaust
manifold. But now I can't seem to get mine out.
What is the best procedure?
The wsm seems to have it flying right out.
Thanks
Fred

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Can't help with the procedure but , test the new starter first . I learned the hard way on that one. And had to remove the header to change it out.

Tom j

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
unbolt the clutch slave from the bell housing and move it to the side. Then remove the starter/ It may take some wiggling but I am 99% sure it will come out without removing the exhaust. I've seen threads where the poster found it impossible, and then found it possible.

Tom

Last edited:

mightyohm

Donation Time
I'm pretty sure I had to loosen the headers on my S2 and move them to the side before I could get the starter out.

fred1725

Donation Time
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the input.
Turning the wheel all the way to the right
cleared the steering arm and taking the clutch slave off
and moving it did the trick. After that it was just jiggle and drop.
Thank you to all who helped.

Fred

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the update, Fred. You're about the tenth guy who said "I can't get it out" and then found out he could - with a few simple hints.

Tom