• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Average MPG?

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm pretty sure I've brought this up before and I know it's been discussed but my phone flips out every time I try to search so I can't look anything up. What is everyone's average MPG or per tank? I thought mine was okay but I have 1/4 tank left and I've only gone 50 miles. Either the gauge is very wrong, something isn't tuned properly, or I'm really just burning through that much gas. And I use 91.
Anyone use 87 or 89?

Cheers, Matt

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Mileage

Not great. 28 mpg average, highway and around town, easy and spirited with a pretty well tuned series v with overdrive. Roughly the same as a series I in 1967.

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry, I should have clarified. I have a 2.8l V6. Right now I'm just chalking it up to how I'm driving but I would've thought it'd be better than what I'm getting. Unless someone can tell me otherwise. I hope so...

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I normally use 87 octane with Ol Blue. Long trips to Wisconsin, Ohio and various stops in Minnesota - minimum travel of 300 miles - have consistently given 25mpg. Stock Ford 2.8 V6 engine with 2bbl, Toyota 5 speed, stock 4.22 rear end with 13" tires.

Last edited:

kmathis

Donation Time
So, with all of my V6 engine modifications, after some carburetor re-jetting and changing the power valve, I am now getting about 16.4 MPG :eek:. (that is up from 10 MPG prior to carb adjustment) It shows you that engine mods above and beyond the normal has a cost.
My old motor...which I am always talking about...got about 23 MPG with the Delta camshaft and 4BBL carb.
Oh well. I does run great, and it is a lot of fun to drive. Going to the Dyno in a couple of weeks...will report on that later.:D

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Matt,

I never ran anything but regular gas in any of my engines, so I don't think you need super. I raced my cars with it too.

I'm pretty sure I've brought this up before and I know it's been discussed but my phone flips out every time I try to search so I can't look anything up. What is everyone's average MPG or per tank? I thought mine was okay but I have 1/4 tank left and I've only gone 50 miles. Either the gauge is very wrong, something isn't tuned properly, or I'm really just burning through that much gas. And I use 91.
Anyone use 87 or 89?

Cheers, Matt