• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

8 inch Ford for my V6 Alpine

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks MikeH for that link....

Did anyone notice that there were NO Listings for the 3:70 gears ??

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nor is there any mention of 3.80 and 4.11, which are available after market ratios. Probably used in other Ford models. But that is all I was able to find.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nor is there any mention of 3.80 and 4.11, which are available after market ratios. Probably used in other Ford models. But that is all I was able to find.

Bill

In the notes on the list from the link, it states:

The tables supplied here are listings for the particular axle style most likely to be found in a Mustang II.

So there may be gear options not listed if they were not available for the Mustang II.

kmathis

Donation Time
Just talked to my rep at Currie, and the ratios go from 3:55 to 3:80, then to 4:11s. I will go with the 3:80s...I think that will work just fine. Also upgrading to a Limited Slip...going to stick with drum brakes though. :)

Alpine66

Donation Time
Just talked to my rep at Currie, and the ratios go from 3:55 to 3:80, then to 4:11s. I will go with the 3:80s...I think that will work just fine. Also upgrading to a Limited Slip...going to stick with drum brakes though. :)

How much for the limited slip?

kmathis

Donation Time
$500.00 for the third member with 3:80 gears. About $2700 total; I'm going with the larger bearing ends and bearings, also the brakes including drums, backing plates and the complete set up installed. and the e-brake cables. My budget was $2K, so over I go. it will be worth it though, once I have my wheels and tires on there.:cool:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
........What's a Budget? I have 2 V6's and tons of parts but seem to be missing that budget thing.

Alpine66

Donation Time
$500.00 for the third member with 3:80 gears. About $2700 total; I'm going with the larger bearing ends and bearings, also the brakes including drums, backing plates and the complete set up installed. and the e-brake cables. My budget was $2K, so over I go. it will be worth it though, once I have my wheels and tires on there.:cool:

We wont tell on you.....

Last edited:

kmathis

Donation Time
So, I started this awhile ago, and did get it done. I went with disc brakes, and I shortened the rear 2" more that normal because I wanted to fit certain wheels under there...this came with a price, as the drums wouldn't fit, so I had to go with disc brakes...all the better. I supplied the housing and pumpkin, Currie did the rest. 3.80 gears as mentioned, 15" Billet Specialties Wheels.
I fit it to the car first, then removed it and painted it and did the brake lines, then installed it for the final fit. Only took me 6 months:D I thought it would take 6 weeks, but oh well.
But it is done and driving, went to a couple of local shows in the last couple of weeks, very nice to be driving it again.:)

Attachments

• IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 55

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
That looks GREAT, any pictures of the wheels and did you re-drill the front to the same bolt pattern?

kmathis

Donation Time
That looks GREAT, any pictures of the wheels and did you re-drill the front to the same bolt pattern?

Yes, I did re-drill to the 5 lug, G Binckes gave me the front hubs already drilled, ( I guess we traded sort of, I gave him my old rear axle and he gave me the hubs) I think I got the better deal.:rolleyes: anyways, I ordered new bearings and races from S.S. and installed.
And since I haven't had to many original thoughts in my life, I bought the same wheels as Kevin (BirdFan) from Walnut Creek. :D

Attachments

• 28040DC9-F8B2-4F52-A0EC-20C6B2F639D3.JPG
    28040DC9-F8B2-4F52-A0EC-20C6B2F639D3.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 25

kmathis

Donation Time
You did a great job Kelly. How does your Alpine run?

Thanks, Jose!! It runs like the wind.:) Ordered an electronic tach to go with my MSD ignition and an electronic Speedometer. Smiths from Nisonger in NY. Hope I get them tomorrow. Getting my exhaust redone to go through the X frame next Wednesday. Can't wait...Dyno after that.:)

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey Kelly, guess what I just found in my old tool shed?
An 8 inch 3.55 1974 Mustang rear end that my son bought for our V6 Alpine project several years ago.
Since then, I decided to keep the stock rear end with the extra strength keys that you sold me and now that I have sold that house, I have to do something with the rear end.

I will post it on the for sale nsection of this site, but will meanwhile have to load it into a trailer and haul it to the farm until I can dispose of it.
Either that or put out ont the front sidewalk for trash pick up next week.

Decisions, decisions.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The 3.55 ratio would be a good choice for someone wanting to use a four speed tranny, regardless of engine choice.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I too have one as well as the complete front system with disc and power from a Mutt II I removed when I junked the rest of the car.

Haven't decided what to do with them.

For my purposes the SV rear axle assemblies are more than adequate.

Just want the disc on the rear,

DanR

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The 3.55 ratio would be a good choice for someone wanting to use a four speed tranny, regardless of engine choice.

Bill

I think the 3.55 ratio would be an excellent choice. With stock size tires, it gives about 18.5 MPH/1000 RPM in 4th gear. Cruising RPM would be a little high with a 4-speed (3,800 at 70 MPH) and just about right (2,400 at 70 MPH) with a 5-speed.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think the 3.55 ratio would be an excellent choice. With stock size tires, it gives about 18.5 MPH/1000 RPM in 4th gear. Cruising RPM would be a little high with a 4-speed (3,800 at 70 MPH) and just about right (2,400 at 70 MPH) with a 5-speed.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

I found the 3.55 to be okay with 5 speed and stock tires, but did not like it when I switched to 15" tires. The 3.80 is much better with big tires, giving 3000 at 70 mph. You might argue that is sort or revvy, but it is a very good highway setup.

Bill