• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What's the most power you've been able to achieve?

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Engine power

DanR and Bill Blue seem to have their heads screwed on properly. I trust their info, though I am still moving and have been off the site for two months. True power and perceived power are not the same. As an old 60's drag race driver/builder I understand "thinking" one has made more power than what has actually been achieved. Sometimes timing changes, carb adjustment, shifting points, etc. cause a better ET...but no increase in power...it is simply applied at a better time to the track surface. My 200 cu. in. six in my 65 Mustang is rated at 120 HP stock. With a .060 overbore, hotter ignition, free-flowing exhaust, 2 barrel carb and a few other mods, it probably makes an honest 30 more HP. However, the on-line formulas using conservative numbers says it now make at least 50 more HP. The "dyno" is the only true way to know for sure, and even then, dyno-to-dyno numbers do not always match. Don't forget, my 120 HP is the old measure of gross HP while today we measure net HP (the 120 is now about 90). Horse Power and Women have much in common. Do you prefer blonds, brunettes or red heads?

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
This is true. Gentlemen, there is no need for infighting. Can anyone tell me what the 2.8 redlines at? I usually shift between 3,500-4,000. I've heard they can go as high as 7,000 but I've never tried. I have aftermarket gauges and I haven't been able to find anything that shows an appropriate shift level

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
W. Edwards Deming (the father of modern quality management and process engineering) said it very well; "In God we trust, all others bring data."

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Last edited:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
This is true. Gentlemen, there is no need for infighting. Can anyone tell me what the 2.8 redlines at? I usually shift between 3,500-4,000. I've heard they can go as high as 7,000 but I've never tried. I have aftermarket gauges and I haven't been able to find anything that shows an appropriate shift level

I cannot give you any "official" redline, but I regularly run mine to 6,000 Pete

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have always heard the bottom end can take anything the top end can deliver. That means (I think) that shifting points depend on how your engine is setup.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Well Charles,

Keep trusting those guys and see where you end up. Neither of them knows squat about the 2.8 V6, so keep on trusting them. One of them has never even ridden in a 2.8 V6 Alpine, much less even worked on one, so so how do you expect him to know anything?All I have to say is Ha ha ha ha. It's totally funny.

DanR and Bill Blue seem to have their heads screwed on properly. I trust their info, though I am still moving and have been off the site for two months. True power and perceived power are not the same. As an old 60's drag race driver/builder I understand "thinking" one has made more power than what has actually been achieved. Sometimes timing changes, carb adjustment, shifting points, etc. cause a better ET...but no increase in power...it is simply applied at a better time to the track surface. My 200 cu. in. six in my 65 Mustang is rated at 120 HP stock. With a .060 overbore, hotter ignition, free-flowing exhaust, 2 barrel carb and a few other mods, it probably makes an honest 30 more HP. However, the on-line formulas using conservative numbers says it now make at least 50 more HP. The "dyno" is the only true way to know for sure, and even then, dyno-to-dyno numbers do not always match. Don't forget, my 120 HP is the old measure of gross HP while today we measure net HP (the 120 is now about 90). Horse Power and Women have much in common. Do you prefer blonds, brunettes or red heads?

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Daisy,

The factory red lined the 2.8 V6 at 6,000 rpm, so you are totally safe going to that mark. I used to regularly power shifted mine at 7,000 for years, with no harmful effects. It all depends how much you trust your engine. At 3-4,000 rpm, you haven,t even gotten started to tap the potential of this beautiful engine.

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jose,
That's great to know. I guess I'm still not used to 1st gear being so short and that high whine. Sounds like I've been too careful. Sometimes I'll start out in 2nd and it's slower for about 1/2 a second but then I take off

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jose,
That's great to know. I guess I'm still not used to 1st gear being so short and that high whine. Sounds like I've been too careful. Sometimes I'll start out in 2nd and it's slower for about 1/2 a second but then I take off

Just curious, how short is short? Where is the whine from? Sounds like a TK tranny. Now much do revs drop when going from first to second gear?

Bill

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure about the speed or RPM drop off the top of my head. I'll check when I get home. I know the transmission is from a 2000 Mustang. And the whine is most likely just the engine revving and I'm not used to it. I'm accustomed to DeLoreans and V8s

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If it is a Mustang tranny, it cannot be a TK. They were only used in early Rangers and notorious for their whiny, 4:1 first gear. Second gear was close to 2:1. Too bad Ford screwed up an otherwise nice 5 speed. To make matters worse, they are a very good fit in Alpines.

Bill

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Personal Top Speed?

What is you personal top speed with a 2.8l? I'd like to know the limits of the engine but I'd prefer to not surpass them and find out the hard way...

Cheers, Matt

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, Matt, why not be the first to set a record?;) Either be the Quickest or the Fastest! Maybe both, Huh?

Around where I live there is no place to let a car rip for more than a couple minutes. Nothing but a gamble with the man that has the "Blue".....

But out in the West & midwestern states perhaps there are a few more flat miles where open highways could be available.

Gett'n to 100 around here is about top.... Unless on a race track.

I'm too old to try that "wild stuff" any more.

A nice ride in my Alpine with the top up (A/C) or down is a real pleasure I look forward to any more.

I was even invited by my Good friend Eric G (65Sunbeam) for a ride in his beautiful Tiger this week. Man what an enjoyable, exciting and pleasurable ride.

Without asking me if I would like to drive, Eric pulled over in a nice spot like He was going to check something, then said "Your time"... Well I had my time too!;)

Sorry for the rambling..... But THANKS Eric for being a friend,

DanR

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What is you personal top speed with a 2.8l? I'd like to know the limits of the engine but I'd prefer to not surpass them and find out the hard way...

Cheers, Matt

The truth is the Alpine is not a top end car. Just does not have the aerodynamics to comfortably go above 110-120. To go faster requires aero work. How fast do you want to go? I doubt that many high hp Alpines have ever been above 100. The ones that have, probably been only once or twice to "see what it'll do". My car should have the power and rpm to do a buck and a half, but has never been above 95. Its mostly about quick, not fast.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Matt, Mr Bill just made some very worthwhile comments!

Take note that his reference to "quick not fast" is worth a lot of attention.

I had the pleasure of driving his li'l bomb a few years ago and while I did not go fast, I did get the idea it was quick:D

DanR

Last edited:

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
"Well, Matt, why not be the first to set a record? Either be the Quickest or the Fastest! Maybe both, Huh?"

WHO REALLY CARES?

This discussion reminds of meetings of the Nighthawks, my high school hot rod club. :rolleyes:

For those that really do care, the racetrack, the drag strip. or Bonneville salt flats are the only answer.

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree with everything said; I'm all about quick, not necessarily top-end. Being in Orange County, there's not a lot of places to jet since the cops have nothing better to do. I just want to make sure I can cruise at around 70 and hit 90 if needed without blowing the engine. Like I said before, I'm sure I'm just being waaay to cautious and babying the ol' girl. I'm only 31 and I'd like to keep her in great shape for as long as I can. I saved for too long and spent too much to blow it on an avoidable mistake. My Z/28 Is my daily driver and I throw that thing around plenty. The more aware I am of the Alpine's capabilities, the more fun I'll have.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
If you want to know what is possible, Google "world's fastest sunbeam wannabe" and you'll learn all about Lawrence Mayfield and his Alpine at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow! Had no idea this existed. If the originally artic white Series V B395005973 gets added to the register, I pity the register guy who has to think up a description with just a few words. This is a great read. The links are still good, and there's a detailed description of the car.

http://teae.org/worlds-fastest-sunbeam-wannabie/

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Well, Matt, why not be the first to set a record? Either be the Quickest or the Fastest! Maybe both, Huh?"

WHO REALLY CARES?

This discussion reminds of meetings of the Nighthawks, my high school hot rod club. :rolleyes:

For those that really do care, the racetrack, the drag strip. or Bonneville salt flats are the only answer.

You seem to have graduated from the B.S. of High School and the Nighthawks to the data driven world of an adult. The following was lifted from this thread:http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20535&page=11

Bill Blue,
Thank you for the link to your acceleration tests; I will save it. My rebuilt engine has less than 800 miles on it and I have been loath to run it up through the gears aggressively because it wraps up so fast in the lower gears that it went over 6000 the only time I did it in second gear, but your 20-80 test will avoid that and avoid any likelihood of over revving the engine.

My son has spent so many $$ at his speed shop, he says we can get a free dyno run, but it is too XXXX hot now to even drive over to Garland for that here in Texas; plan on it after it cools off in October or November(104 today). I am also interested in the HP and torque curves because my car seems to respond more quickly at 2500 and above. My old TR3 A like to stay above 3000 when passing on the highway or coming fast out of a corner(you know the drill, 3000 -6000, shift and do it again), but I do not yet know the RPM for my V6 Alpine.

I agree completely on how much difference the driver can make when starting from a stand still and I believe that type rubber burning start is much more stressful on the car than the "punch it while moving" testing.
I also know that punching mine at low RPM can cause hesitation or a downright backfire and that is not good. The throttle plate stuck as you describe once, but to my knowledge that was the only damage."

What were the results of the free dyno test and the 20-60 timed run?

Bill