• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pinion oil seal sizes?

Boobtube

Silver Level Sponsor
I just pulled out the pinion oil seal on my 64 Alpine and grabbed the replacement only to discover it was much smaller than what I just removed. The old has an inner of 1.5" with an outer of 2.55"(as best I could measure) and a width of .5". The replacement I got from Rock Auto was a National 470625 with the same inner diameter but outer is 2.25" and width of .312".
The original is a much beefier housing, probably the original seal since the rubber was pretty shot.
Does anyone know a cross number for the original sized seal?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The SS catalog shows that there was a change at very late SV (B395013609). Maybe you have a late axle. I'll bet Rick at SS can give you the dimensions on both seals he sells and if it looks right you can get it from him.

Tom

Boobtube

Silver Level Sponsor
OK, I found Timken charts on-line and was able to find the seal needed--Timken 470190
OD=2.565 ID=1.5 Width=.5
This is also the Payen NA479
Chrysler 5220439
GM 6751061

Hope this helps any future searchers.

Last edited:

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
pinion or hub seals confusion...

OK, I found Timken charts on-line and was able to find the seal needed--Timken 470190
OD=2.565 ID=1.5 Width=.5
This is also the Payen NA479
Chrysler 5220439
GM 6751061

Hope this helps any future searchers.

HI guys just wanted to inject....I purchased the pinion seal from Napa and the number is equivalent to these
Payen NA479
Chrysler 5220439
GM 6751061

The Timkin 470190 seems to come out to be the hub seals not pinion...

Just thought this should be noted....

CHaz