• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Horn Relay

gdive

Donation Time
horn

I put a universal horn button in the right hole of the column collar, where the O/D would normally go. I don't have that so used the spot. My wheel button was intermittent all the time. I bought new horns, ran new wires, works great and you can use whatever horn you want. Also replaced the blinker with a setup that is used in 32 Fords that fit nicely in the other collar hole, ran new wires at the same time.

Mjbeanie

Bronze Level Sponsor
horn click no sound

I would like to know of the adjustment mentioned in this thread on the Clear hooters horn. Trying to determine the best way forward as I have the solid click sound when I push the horn ring. Sometimes they work just fine, other times not at all. I have a new old stock, L tone horn which works intermittently, as does the original equipment H tone. The contacts in the steering column appear solid.
The click is audible, and quite clear. Seems like I need "more power"

Based on all the feedback, in this thread -
What is cheapest, easiest way forward, New relay? Which relay is it.
Is it the field isolating relay? If not, what is that one for?

Thanks for the help.
Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
It would be worth checking your grounds... Intermittent seems to imply the power supply isn't the issue as much as getting consistent feed.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
No value in "Checking the grounds" as the only ground involved is the one where the circuit is ground at the horn ring when pressed.

I recommend adding a relay, mounted at the front of the car near one of the horns. It can be just about any 12 V relay you can buy at just about any Auto Part store. Or, if you have a spare 6RA relay as is used as a Field Isolation Relay on an original Series V charging circuit you could use that.

But before you do that, maybe just try adjusting the horns. The procedure is spelled out on page 46 and 47 of the electrical section of the WSM 145.
Link here to the on line one on the SAOCA site :

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/downloads/WSM 145 SV Manual/15 Electrical System (N-2).pdf

Or this one loads faster, but poor resolution and harder to read:

http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/WSM145_N-Frames.htm

The adjusting screw is on top of the horn, as seen in Fig 46

And if adding a relay, here's a drawing to help:

http://mhartman.net/files/sunbeam/Horn Relay Hartman.pdf

Tom

Last edited:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Based on all the feedback, in this thread -
What is cheapest, easiest way forward, New relay? Which relay is it.
Is it the field isolating relay? If not, what is that one for?

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Visit your local auto parts store and get a 12v relay. Incorporating a relay into the system is the easiest way to ensure adequate power is reaching your horns. The original clear hooter horns, when adequately powered, are nice sounding and reasonably loud. Pete

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I try things in this order:

1) Test the horns on the bench, adjust if necessary.

2) If a SI, check the factory relay.

3) On newer series, add a relay. PM me if you want details on how-to.

Al

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Living in California I need LOUD horns, so I wired mine a little different. My series II is negative ground. I ran the horn ground to ground and run the horn positive with heavy gauge wire to a relay (87), from the relay (30)to battery, then to trigger the relay, I run the positive (85) to power and the negative (86) to the horn switch. I like that I only have power running to the horn when I am honking it.