• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oh My

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Humbug

Usually use focus on the rear end of the Tiger. One of the best cuts off the axles and adds good brakes axles etc. leaving the center section as that's what the sanctioning race body has drawn the line.

Alpines are being gobbled up for panels and sections as fast as they get rolled out of storage.

ASC made a factory sanctioned Mustang Mc Laren and Bauer made a nice BMW semi rag top.

I'd like to have a S3 but probably would not like the HP to weight ratio.

Most Tiger United sites have

Stock plus LAT options
Personalized 302's and larger wheels etc
Modified bigger brakes better front ends ...

Dale et al cut off the legs of the Tiger and add bigger brakes and more reliable axles. Their method's push the sanctioning bodies to draw the line there.

Tiger's were built to be Tiger's if you read and believe the Rootes Archive Trust guys.

What I see is a market shift towards more cheaper cars to modify into a really fun toy.

I'd trust a modernized car with a quality build on a trip way before a stock car with leaky gaskets and timing covers.

PS glad you changed your Avatar Huskydrvr, if I want to get flipped the bird all I have to do is drive in So.Cal.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
MY

[QUOTE=Warren;1710

Tiger's were built to be Tiger's if you read and believe the Rootes Archive Trust guys.

Bodies were built with the intent that they would go to Jenson to become a Tiger. Since they were to be converted to Tigers there were specific pieces left off the body such as the tunnel, top hats, a couple of small braces under the bulkhead, etc. I've never heard anyone say when the extra tab under the car was added. They had no drive trains but the bodies did get assembled on the Alpine line. The trimmed out bodies were shipped to Jenson in the same manner as the big Healy body . I keep looking at the AF 4 car and it's amazing to see some of the differences of a hand built Tiger and a production line Tiger.There would never have been a Tiger if there was no Alpine built. Chrysler did continue the Tiger name at a later date in an entirely different body. I guess you could say "some modifications required ". Bill and others just never seems to stop doing modifications. Keep it Up.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan,

Think about the specific changes required by the modifications required in Bill's example.

Mustang II front end, Jag rear with Willwood brakes, tube frame, I Did It steering column, racing seats, custom interior, 500 hp engine of your choice, 20 inch wheels, T56 tranny and riding two inches off the pavement

Steering - r&p is not an appealing change to the v6 crowd
Jag rear - would think the support cage for that suspension set up would eliminate part of the trunk which now needs to contain a custom fuel cell - so no luggage space
aftermarket brakes - probably a really good change
tube frame - to save an otherwise unsalvageable Alpine or just to support main mods?
racing seats - comfortable? or only needed for limited use?
20 inch wheels & riding two inches off the pavement - is there any of the original fender above the wheel well left? flares? does it still look like an Alpine? how is the ride? bet I couldn't get a car that low out of my driveway since the street was repaved
T56 tranny - trans is huge in comparison to stock trans - how much room is left in the foot wells?

In response to Bill's question again:

Now for your question about when is a modified Alpine not an Alpine. I would say that since both your "Durapine" and your modified example are both Alpine packages they are still Alpines. The defining moment comes when you decide it is time to sell your car. You will have to decide if you are selling a car with modifications that maintain its heritage or selling your work and modifications that happen to be packaged in this particular vehicle.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
PS glad you changed your Avatar Huskydrvr, if I want to get flipped the bird all I have to do is drive in So.Cal.

Warren,

I'm sorry that you think that is my intended message with my avatar. I wasn't aware that was a possible interpretation of that pic. I would say the meaning is different, and more literal, than your choice anyway. Changing back could be a challenge - old pic file seems to have died in the old computer.

Just goes to show there is usually more than one way to view anything.

Last edited:

Jim E

Donation Time
Fellows... have to argue this... I have built mostly stock Alpines that will drive where ever you want to go... you just need to fix everything... and they did not leak... that is not a simple trick... but can be done... one of the most fun Alpines I ever had was a leaned on stock motor with 150s that bitch would eat!!!!!

Jim E

Donation Time
of course did get silly when I went ten to one pistons and a giant cam with webers got worse gas mileage than Eric G. in his tiger... was great on top end just silly anywhere else

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Same story

With a twist here.

Bob you can make up whatever story you want repeat it as much as you want and many won't agree with you. Like the 47 plus pages of reshelling in the UK Tiger site you've proven that you'll even argue your dreamed up facts with guys who spend countless hours researching and preserving all the factory drawings and a Trustee of the Rootes Archive Trust. I will agree that the Alpine came first.

No one needs a history lesson on how the UK cars were passed by as under powered but went around corners well. The big Jag's and Healy's and even the MGC were a early version of go big or go home. I recently got a Tiger pile that got beat into a tube frame creation in the late 80's. That car needed it back then as it was a Flintstone car and back then would never been restored.

I have no doubt that you can make a stock Alpine go anywhere if you fix everything. You can also do the same with a 40 HP VW but I'm not doing that any more either.

Yeah Huskydrvr I get it well . I'm far from the sensitive type and I did not Google the picture or try to figure out why it was used. As I recall the subject didn't look happy.

Many many like 50 to 1 guys that comment and say wow is that the original 260 and I reply no say "Oh that's too bad," even though they would not know the differences unless they were told what those were.
I'll take my 210 RWHP over the stock output any day and it'd be nice to have closer to 300 it's a heavy car for it's size. As an old ad said "The roof is in the floor,"

65beam

Donation Time
With a twist here.

Bob you can make up whatever story you want repeat it as much as you want and many won't agree with you. Like the 47 plus pages of reshelling in the UK Tiger site you've proven that you'll even argue your dreamed up facts with guys who spend countless hours researching and preserving all the factory drawings and a Trustee of the Rootes Archive Trust. I will agree that the Alpine came first

Warren,
Have you been hitting the Christmas Cheer ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I thought we had all learnt not to feed trolls.. especially if this feeding ground is the only source of sustenance in their sad existence.

Or on s more festively referenced note... Let's leave Scrooge, the Grinch ..( insert your favourite crotchety old fool ) alone.

Enjoy your Xmas cheer... From someone who thinks rhd is nothing to blow your horn about :)

65beam

Donation Time
MY

According to the current facts it looks like we have two lurkers that don't contribute anything but comments.

Jim E

Donation Time
do you all mean me... let the lurkers be they know no better... lets say I build an Alpine with a warp engine it is still an Alpine.. still has the lines we care for...am I missing something

65beam

Donation Time
my

Not you Jim.

Joel,
Jean asked me if I had heard anything about you making mods to your new toy??????

Jim E

Donation Time
well then I must be loosing my touch... these cars are just cars but they are mighty pretty... for a hair dresser... how can anyone say less

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
do you all mean me... let the lurkers be they know no better... lets say I build an Alpine with a warp engine it is still an Alpine.. still has the lines we care for...am I missing something

I think so. Are looks the only thing you like about Alpines?

Don, of course the Husky is still a HIllman. Fully outfitted with factory options. Still working the Sunbeam project.

Bill