• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas Pedal/Brake Pedal Proximity

jfcroni

Donation Time
The brake and gas pedal are really close on the Alpine. The rod connected to the gas pedal interferes when braking. The right side of my shoe catches the rod connected to the pedal... giving it gas when braking. Any fixes/ideas out there that address this... other than being really careful all of the time.

65beam

Donation Time
pedals

There are two positions for the brake and clutch pedals. If you look at the pedals where they hook to the pushrod for the masters you'll see the adjusting holes. pull the pin and set the brake pedal at it's highest position. This works for my size 13 / 4E shoes.

jfcroni

Donation Time
There are two positions for the brake and clutch pedals. If you look at the pedals where they hook to the pushrod for the masters you'll see the adjusting holes. pull the pin and set the brake pedal at it's highest position. This works for my size 13 / 4E shoes.

The clevis end won't fit... it binds on the arm... (not a deep enough clevis) the other hole. I'll have to see what I can do to replace the pusher rod or make an adapter. Thanks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob is correct with the adjustable pedal throw.

What do you mean by the Clevis is not long enough? What is the length/distance between the clevis fork and the hole for the pin?

I might have a spar rod that will fit.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
brake pedal clearance

A year or two ago this issue was addressed and the recommendation was to move both brake and clutch pedal to the left an inch or so by bending the arm below the push rod pivot point.
The discussion of safety convinced me that, done properly,it would not be creating a death trap to perform this modification.
I made a simple ,bench mounted, jig to enable me to heat and bend both brake and clutch pedals equal amounts . It requires two bends in each pedal, the upper one to the left and another behind the foot pad area to bring the pads into alignment.
.......DISCLAIMER....... I have not road tested this mod. since the car is not yet running, but it looks and feels satisfactory.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
That is what I did, and have been road testing it for 4 years without any problems.
DSCN3834-XL.jpg

DSCN3837-XL.jpg

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
pedal

You can bend the pedals cold with no adverse effects, we've done this many times, on the last Tiger we straightened them out and fabbed new pads{this also changes the ratio by the way)

jfcroni

Donation Time
Bob is correct with the adjustable pedal throw.

What do you mean by the Clevis is not long enough? What is the length/distance between the clevis fork and the hole for the pin?

I might have a spar rod that will fit.

I rechecked. It is in the out-most hole. I the clevis will not fit without interference to the inner hole.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you can get me a PIC and some measurements I will look for something that you may be able to utilize.

AS an example measure from the "fork" to the "center" of the hole where the pin fits. Also the threaded rod portion if you have that setup.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not absolutely sure, but IIRC, brake and clutch pedals from a Tiger have more bend / offset to accommodate the wider transmission tunnel which moves the gas pedal to the left.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I know this is an old thread. I wanted to add that I have had the problem before. But that was ONLY when my brake pedal was travelling too far because something was off. When the brakes were well bled, with no hysteresis, and the rear shoes are adjusted well, I never have that issue.

Note that hysteresis can happen if your rotors are worn and there is a ridge at the end, so you have to squeeze the rotors out too far to get the pads in.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
JAy, The use of the word defined in Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary tells us: hys-ter- e-sis: n [NL, fr. Gk hysteresis shortcoming, fr. hysterein to be late, fall short, fr. hysteros later]. a retardation of the effect when the forces acting upon a body are changed (as if from viscosity or internal friction); esp: a lagging

As a result of this definition I am not following your use of the word... Help!

DanR

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
In the auto world, it's when the caliper pucks push in to apply the brakes. But then when the pressure is released, the rubber seal pulls the puck back out too far. It's because the seal doesn't let the puck slide and stay forward enough.

As a result, the puck and pad need to travel further than they should, which takes more fluid, and more pedal travel.

To be honest, I haven't had this as an issue with my Alpine. But it is a problem I've had on my 912.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Quote: "In the auto world, it's when the caliper pucks push in to apply the brakes. But then when the pressure is released, the rubber seal pulls the puck back out too far. It's because the seal doesn't let the puck slide and stay forward enough." Unquote

Thanks Jay for that explanation! An old man might have learned something today!

DanR