• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmisssion down, now clutch

Mjbeanie

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hello Gents,

A follow up posting on efforts to bring the Sunbeam Mark V back in action.
Transmission has been removed.
It was a struggle to get the bell housing off the alignment pin, but some PB blaster worked once I drove the pin back into the block. Some notes that could be helpful to others are below:

The transmission jack in my view is a must have. Glad I got that one.
Found the reverse switch as I lowered the tranny.
Gave up on removing the exhaust, and cut the pipe, prior to tilting the engine. I will use a 1.5" sleeve to fix, with exhaust sealant. Nice snug fit.
Posted a photo of the angle of the engine, I know this was a question I had.
So I think this may help others. The engine really is about 1/16" away from firewall in my case. I did loosen mount bolts.

Also very glad I removed the clutch plate and disc. It was worn down to the rivets!

Now the question, where can I get a new plate and disc. SS has the disc, or should I get a Borg Beck OEM disc if I can find. The pressure plate photo is attached, some fine cracks have been noted noted on the release bearing "pad". This looks like a "no-go" situation. Wondering what the forum thinks.

Also wondering what I should do to prepare the donor tranny. See last photo.
Replacement tranny is being prepared on left. I've done the release bearing.
I will replace the rear oil seal, but the front cover oil seal looks like a significant effort. Is this needed??

I will also do the top cover oil plate and gaskets, anything else I am missing?
I would hate to overlook something at this point..
Thanks very much

Attachments

• IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3374.jpg
    IMG_3374.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

67Survivor

Donation Time
I just finished replacing the entire clutch system in my series V. I got all the pars from Sunbeam Specialties. A few quick notes:
The stock pressure plate is no longer available and the company that was making replacements is no longer doing so. Rick sent me a replacement plate that works with the original replacement disk that he also sells. The key here is that it uses a newer style roller bearing and requires a different fork. I don't think these items are listed in the Sunbeam Specialties catalog, so a phone call to Rick would probably be time extremely well spent.
Get the flywheel resurfaced and consider replacing the ring gear if it is worn. You may want to have a new dowel pin made as the old ones are often bent and damaged. You should also replace the pilot bushing.
Although SS shows the seriesV alpine master cylinder not being available, Rick does have a solution with the master that he sells for the Tigers, a smaller diameter tube and an adapter to fit the smaller tube to the slave.
I paid a mechanic to do the replacement for me as I was just too busy with work. The entire job took 11 hours.
Good luck with the project.

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Also very glad I removed the clutch plate and disc. It was worn down to the rivets!

Now the question, where can I get a new plate and disc. SS has the disc, or should I get a Borg Beck OEM disc if I can find. The pressure plate photo is attached, some fine cracks have been noted noted on the release bearing "pad". This looks like a "no-go" situation. Wondering what the forum thinks.

The disc is straightforward. You should have multiple options for rebuilding the disc. I used Kip Motor in TX. I thought they were over priced, but the workmanship appeared to be decent. I have recorded notes for clutch component rebuilds that were mentioned on the SAOCA forum:

http://www.southbendclutch.com/index.html
Fort Wayne Clutch http://www.fortwayneclutch.com/ (5 years ago prices: Disk $50, pressure plate $50 + shipping.)

Worth checking into.

I have picked up spare pressure plates - one purchased from a SAOCA forum member and one purchased on EBay. They do come for sale periodically on EBay.

Mike

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
67Survivor mentioned a clutch master cylinder replacement option from Sunbeam Specialties. Not sure if you need that, as I don't think I see that in your original post. However, Den67Jr just listed a series V clutch master as available.
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24724

Rick at SS sells a clutch master rebuild kit that contains the rubber components. It should be a straightforward rebuild.

Mike

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I installed an MGB master cyl (new sachs type with tiny attached reservoir).

Worked like I champ but I did have to swap out my pushrod as the one that came with it was not wide enough for the alpine pedal.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Couple questions about the alignment pin

1) You said the pin that was a problem was the one near the starter. Was it a long pin or did it just fit about halfway thru the bellhousing flange ? I suspect it was not a factory original part. You should try to get one to replace it

2) do you have the alignment pin for the other side? It's a threaded / shouldered bolt.

Tom

Mjbeanie

Bronze Level Sponsor
Trans and Clutch update- Still a problem,Houston

The pin was the one near the starter, it must have worked its way into the bell housing or simply was hanging things up. I tapped it in, and was able to lower the gearbox assembly. The other shoulder bolt/alignment pin is present, but I spent too much time trying to remove it, as it is not removable, live and learn.

Now I am struggling to find a stock clutch cover the Series V, B395013026.
I have no solution, ebay has been no help. The MGB cover offered apparently is not a good way forward for a series 5, and I don't want to do any modifications, if I don't have to. ALL ideas welcome. Wish Rick at SS, would source this one, seems like a high demand part!

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I would agree with Mike ... With my old Dodge PW's, 39' & early 40's ... there were NO new covers being made or conversions possible as well as brake shoes MC's, WC's etc.. The only option was having the orig. pressure plate(clutch cover) rebuilt/surfaced ... There was a place here ...Valley Friction Materials (just checked and there still is business, but no website) https://www.google.com/#q=Valley+Friction+Materials ..... this was 40 plus years ago and they were a life saver. They specialized in larger rigs(trucks)at the time mostly. You may want to check in your neck of the woods for a similar type business. .... I have yet to do any clutch jobs on these cars but would go the route suggested and will be checking with Valley about Alpines.... Good Luck

..... David

** One thing that really helps today which wasn't available 40 years ago was the internet ... Happy searching!

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The best thing you could do, would be to go to a early flywheel that way you have options for your clutch setup. I may have a core pressure plate if you can not find one for rebuild email me if you need me to look, I still would go with the early setup! :cool:

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Valley Friction, 11817 Sherman Way, N. Hollywood 818-765-5174 will do the friction disc. I think it was about $75??? Would have to search my records. Valley Friction would not do the Clutch Cover.

Southland Clutch, 101 East 18th St. National City, CA 800-310-2588 Will rebuild the Clutch cover/Pressure plate. They were not cheap, but did a nice job, replacing the pressure pad, rebuilding the plate, resurfacing etc. $125.00. They possibly could also do the disc. Ask.

Not too many options for a Series V. These are the ones I used and was happy with them.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Jim ....

Good to know about Southland Clutch as a fairly local rebuilder .... Bookmarked this one just in case the need ever arises (knock on wood). Might be worth looking into the early clutch setup as well, the more options for these cars the better!

..... David

Mjbeanie

Bronze Level Sponsor
in the clutch

Thanks a lot guys, I reached out to Southland clutch, South Bend Clutch, and will await their response on rebuilding the pressure cover plate. If that doesn't work, I'll exchange it across the pond as a last resort.

FYI-Got a new Borg Beck 7.5" 10 spline new disk on ebay, from classicmotorspares2010. Looks like a good fit and a fair price.

Thanks again for your help.

A last question is the bleeping pilot bushing how hard is this to remove? The old installed one looks ok, maybe I should leave it alone??
Comments appreciated.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Its usually pretty easy to remove the pilot bushing.

Put grease in the pilot hole and find a steel rod the same size as the input shaft diameter.

Hit the rod with a hammer and the grease will push the pilot bushing right out.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Beanie .... Change the "BLEEPING" pilot bushing! ... it makes for a complete and thorough job ... don't cut corners ;) I've bought items from classic motor spares
and was pleased with the products and service. .... Good Luck!

Good idea RR ... next time I'll try that approach ... I made a small reverse puller for my slide hammer to do those jobs.

.... David

Mjbeanie

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bleeping bushing is right!

Wow, that was a major pain. I tried various methods to get the "bleeping bushing out." Could not get a good grip on it with a modified dent puller.
So I tried the "Fill the hole" method on You tube. Folks on Youtube have filled pilot bushing holes with grease, caulk, and even sliced bread. Get a close fitting bolt to push down on the "filler of choice" and voila done in seconds.

Only problem is it took me two hours, and all I had at the end of it, was pre-caulked marble rye.

I am here to tell you, the caulk, grease (or bread) left me with no success. (Although I was wondering if fresh baked croissants may have worked better.).

The best path in this case was copy paper dipped in water for a few minutes, and then it was jammed in the hole. A big bolt as a pusher rod, and Mr. Sledge did the rest. Thank goodness!

So I received my UK parts, a clutch cover (Thanks Jeff H.) and replacement disk and release bearing. Trans is now up, the buttoning up continues tomorrow. Did clutch bleeding and the it seems to be actuating well.

However If this used replacement gearbox runs poorly,
I am going to explore another British pastime- Beer....

Last edited:

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Replace the flywheel with and early series Alpine unit 1 thru early 4. then you can use MGB and Volvo clutch parts and it does away with the 7 1/2 inch clutch you have. I have a list of other clutch crossovers. :cool: