• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Master Retaining Ring Issue

mferris

Donation Time
I have one last (mechanical) task to finish before I'm planning on selling both my SV Alpines. Since it's the last task (of course) I'm having a (miserably) hard time trying to get spring from the clutch pedal push rod.

Picture of the clutch rod here: https://goo.gl/photos/Bom9cYWRwnf48UvL8

I *believe* the PO put the retaining cap on backwards and for the life of me I can't get it to slide off the rod since the lip of the cap is pressed up against the rod fork (regardless of rotation) instead of facing the spring. See part 57 in page 3 of the manual here: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/downloads/WSM 124 SI-SIV Manual/7 Clutch & Propeller Shaft (D).pdf

Even if I hold the spring away from the retaining cap - it seems as though the cap is held in place by a groove on the rod shaft so I can't just slide it off.

Before I destroy the cap trying to get the rod through the firewall to take out the master and craft a new cap out of a sliced washer if needed - please tell me another way of getting this horrid thing off.

-M

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I had to take some vice grips and use them to push the spring out of the way then use a second set of vice grips to grab the retaining ring (there's probably a better way to go).

On one of my master cyls, it came right off. On the other, it was in a slot on the pushrod. I had to pull like hell, which warped it a bit. When I put it back together, I bent it back into shape. Still seems to work fine.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I think that type of spring retainer in your photo needs to go on that way because I don't think it will work the other way around. It needs to have something to "cup" the spring. If it were the reverse way around, it would move all over the place I believe. The WSM diagram shows a retainer that looks different.... larger diameter and flatter.

Rick

skywords

Donation Time
I think the last time I did that job they found me wandering in the desert for three days muttering in tongue. Just stay with it and get a helper.