• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Saggy door

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I've noticed the clearance between the door and rear body has become non existent at the top. Suspect the frame may be getting tired. is there any adjustment in the door hinges for for aligning?
Bobbo

alpine_64

Donation Time
If the door gap is closing at the trailing edge of the door at the b post you have got rust issues with the sills. No adjustment for that.

If this has just started the sills are in trouble. If it has been like this since you got the car it is also possible that of someone replaced the sills they didn't brace between the a and b posts and welded the sills in with the car sagging

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
It is possible to,use a shim
They are like horseshoe shaped and come in different thickness.
You could cut a washer or two to see if a shim will help. Loosen bottom hinge and slide in. If clearance does not change or it binds then you do have problems

gordonra

Donation Time
I recall reading on the forum that you can also take the hinge off, close it, and smack it with a hammer (or pinch it in a vise) to cause the hinge to close closer to the A post. If you are close at the top of the B post, then I'd expect adjusting the top hinge might do the trick.

Rich

65beam

Donation Time
door

don't forget the door hinges. they can wear and let the door sag. check the dove tails on the door and see if they're cracked. does the door have to be lifted when opening? that is an indication of worn hinges. open the door and lift to see if there is movement up and down. your latch on the B post may need to be raised to open up the gap. if set too low it pulls the back of the door down when closed.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
This topic is timely because I am dealing with the situation described by 65beam where when the door is open about 50% and you lift the rear of the door, there is a distinct movement at the top hinge that appears to be a worn hinge pin. The hinge itself isn't loose or moving during this observation, so the only thing left I presume is the pin worn. I am not sure what the best solution is for this. CS used to have a door hinge repair kit (MA110), that he longer has. I am not sure what was in that kit... pins I suppose. I asked Rick at SS if he has anything and he said I may have to have the hinges re-pinned with pins or roll pins. Not sure what to do.

Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Generally speaking, there are two solutions. The best solution and the practical solution.

In this situation, the best solution is too remove the hinges, drive the pin out, bore the hinge oversize and install oversize pins. A lot of work that should be done on a good drill press (or milling machine) with proper fixtures to hold things in place.

The practical solution is to remove the hinges and close them as described by Rich. If you happen to close them too much (doubtful, but possible) they can always be shimmed with paper or cardboard. I would not replace the pins until the hinges could not be closed enough to maintain the gap.

Bill

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions gentlemen.
Looks like a hinge pin issue. lots of play with the door half open.
So glad it's probably not sills.
I have some spares so maybe just a swap out.
Thanks.
Bobbo

for Bill: ( Alpine, when only the best will do ) :)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
for Bill: ( Alpine, when only the best will do )

bobbo, does that mean you've decided against the 2.8? Nothing wrong with that. Several guys are happy with their Chevy rod 1725.

But I suppose the 2.8 will do if you can't get a DURATEC :)

Are you still planning to make the Invasion in Greensburg?

Bill

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill; the 2.8 is in the garage with T5 and bellhousing. just got the bronco pan and oil pick-up in last week from e-bay.
I've had the Alpine out for a few short runs this spring.
Seems to be running well. I think I may be a little gun shy after the South Carolina invasion though. This Invasion would be a much shorter trip and I am musing about it .
Just can't confirm.
Bobbo

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill; the 2.8 is in the garage with T5 and bellhousing. just got the bronco pan and oil pick-up in last week from e-bay.
I've had the Alpine out for a few short runs this spring.
Seems to be running well. I think I may be a little gun shy after the South Carolina invasion though. This Invasion would be a much shorter trip and I am musing about it .
Just can't confirm.
Bobbo

We'd love to have you.

As an inducement to attend, I'm offering free rides and drives in the DuraPine to everyone, even Jose!!

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm a bit of a newcomer. What the heck is a Durapine?
Cheers

Nothing official. It is what I sometimes call my Series V car. It is powered by a 2010, four cylinder 2.5 liter Ford Fusion Duratec engine.

To the best of my knowledge, it is the only Duratec powered Alpine in the world.

Bill