• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hub Puller

90days

Donation Time
I’m just checking on the Hub Puller status and who is next in line to borrow it? I’m ready to pull my hubs and only need it for a day and will expedite back promptly. I would appreciate any updates on it status. Thanks Tony

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The hub puller is out somewhere I do not know who has it at this time, it is real heavy so remember that shipping will be $$$$$ :eek:

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
The hub puller will be at the Furman show in Greenville, SC on May 28th.
It is very heavy, I think it's going to NC after. Come to the show I'm sure something can be worked out. We'll be passing through the general area the following weekend going to and coming back from the Invasion in Greensburg, In.

Tom j

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe, but I'm not to sure the box would be strong enough to make the trip

Tom j

john p

Donation Time
Does anyone have a picture of the hub puller? I'd like to see if there is a comparable tool or a makeshift that would do.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a picture of the hub puller? I'd like to see if there is a comparable tool or a makeshift that would do.

Comparable is probably okay, makeshift is a bad idea. It usually requires tremendous (pre Trump tremendous) force to break these mammies loose.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor

Here are instructions on making one designed for Sunbeam hubs.
http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp

I have a universal puller that I've used successfully several times, although it has also bent one hub (rear, of course) in the process, something I don't think the custom one would do. This isn't mine, but it is similar.
OTC (7394) Universal Hub Puller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRH60/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_.1Gpxb6T9WEQW

Cali_59

Donation Time
Hi
Do the S1 alpines take the same puller as the tiger?
I would really appreciate use/ rental of the 'Real Macoy' puller. ( I'm in San Diego )
I have a bad leak on passenger side coming out from the Knock off of my wire wheel.

I came upon a very detailed plan-set for making one, but cant find the bookmark, and have not been able to find the page.
I'm a month away from starting the project. Probably do it around the same time I change out driveshaft for acquired OD.
Cheers! Chris

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
All Alpine & Tiger steel rear hubs can be removed with the same puller, such as the universal suggested in earlier comments. Wire wheel hubs are a different story and the aforementioned universals prolly won't work due to the very limited space from the spline throat. I've personally used the Proto 4001T puller for 15 years and have successfully removed dozens of sets of steel/wire rear hubs. Here's a decent one with good price and reasonable shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTO-Pull...204741?hash=item1ccf6e6c85:g:aBsAAOSwo4VciYON

I've guided a number of fellow members through this somewhat-scary process so perhaps a few will chime in? Now, should the OP acquire a Proto I'll be happy to offer some tips and encouragement. Just PM me.

Good luck, Mark ..... volvoguys

Cali_59

Donation Time
Thanks a bunch Mark! I do have Wire wheels.
I will check back for your tips! I may get this relatively inexpensive puller.
I still want to take a crack at finding this article with detailed Plans to build a 4 bolt / one center puller. ( if I do make find /make it i would gladdly send it out for anyone who needed it.
The one you linked to has 3 mounting bolts. I 'assume' they will only screw into 3 of the 4 hub bolt holes/ inlets.
I'm still a month away from diving in. Still have to locate/ purchase all the parts I will need.

Cali_59

Donation Time
But a 4 bolt puller? I have wire wheel hubs.
Is it not best to stick to a 4 bolt puller? I though I had read something here about not using a 3 bolt unit if you had splined hubs.
Hey If no damage will occur for using a 3 bold puller.. I'm game.
Cheers!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is the Article from the link our President Jim Stone posted:

Ultimate Tiger Hub Puller

DanWalters1.gif

An Article by Dan Walters
September, 2001

Editor's Note: Dan has contributed numerous articles to this web site. He is well known as a winning racer (above), Previous President of CAT, and well respected Tiger/Alpine mechanic and innovator of such well known performance parts as his axle locator and new Fulcrum Pin stainless replacement with much larger cross-section.

The Final Solution:

.... There are many sad stories about the difficulties of pulling the Tiger rear hub from the tapered connection to the axle. Various tools, techniques, and destroyed parts are in this history.

.... In my evaluation, I had not found an existing method, or tool, to satisfactorily accomplish this difficult task. I did the only thing remaining to me, and had a puller built that WILL do the job, without damage, and relatively without pain. This does NOT mean that a damaged connection, with already rusted to fused hub/axle surfaces, will be easy, or even possible, It does, however, take care of those difficult tasks normally encountered.

.... This unit was custom fabricated, for multiple uses, and the design is simple. The primary use of this tool is hub removal, and it's secondary application is axle removal. Another unique use is for posi-traction breakaway force determination.

Any competent machinist can reproduce it, given the appropriate critical hub/stud dimensions.

1. It bolts solidly to the hub to keep the hub from bending.
  2. It is made from .625 thick cold rolled steel. (1018 or 4130) Hot rolled steel is NOT suitable!
  3. OD is 5.375 in
  4. ID is 3.260 in.
  5. The Bolt circle is 4.25 in. Dia.
  6. It uses 4 -1/2 in diameter x 6 inch long fine threaded studs to put tension on the axle end. This length is used for long stud (racing) applications and wire wheel Alpine use.
  7. The other 4 holes are 7/16 dia., and are not threaded. These are used for hub stud attachment.
  8. The tubes are schedule 80, to make it more rigid, for posi breakaway testing, but NOT used for hub removal!!
  9. The hex nut is threaded for a slide hammer to pull the axle shaft from the housing with impacts, not a bolt to put a load on the axle threaded end, like other pullers.
  10. A bolt would only be inserted, and bottomed, in the center thread to protect it if some "persuasion" with a hammer blow is needed to shock the system in a compressive mode. This is not recommended as it can cause axle shaft thread mushrooming, even with a reversed nut.
  11. Not shown is a Cold Rolled Steel spacer that allows extra clearance for long studs and Alpine wire wheel hubs.
So far I have NOT had to use a hammer with this puller to remove a hub, but if it comes to that I will put a bolt in the hex nut and hit the bolt head.

The center external hex nut is used to hold the puller from turning ( when needed) and to check posi breakaway torque. This new puller is more rigid than my old puller and the old puller has not failed to remove a hub. Also, it could bend the stud ears on the hub of really tough customers. Hence, this new design, excellently manufactured by Dan Westland.

WaltershubPuller1.gif

ASSEMBLED VIEW

Note simplicity and sturdiness of design. The lower ring has a dual pattern of stud holes, half of which are threaded. There are also heavy wall tubing spacers shown. These spacers are NOT used for hub removal, but were added for my use in positraction torque testing, and are eliminated, as this removal process only uses tensile forces.

The threaded rods are screwed into the threaded end on the four threaded holes of the bottom (axle) piece and solidly stabilized with the pictured jam nuts.. The top disc has four holes and is held to the threaded rods with hardened washers and nuts. The large welded center nut is connected to a slide hammer when removing the axle shaft from the housing.

USAGE

To remove the hub:

1) Remove split pins and loosen axles shaft nut with road wheel on the ground, If wheels prevent applying a good sized wrench to the nut, use the original steel wheel and tire on to hold the wheel against wrench torque. Reverse axle shaft nut so smooth end is flush with axle shaft end.

2) Remove brake drum per Factory Manual discussion (available on TigersUnited site).

3) Attach inner studded ring to hub with wheel nuts. Torque to 40 ft.-lb.

4) Slide outer plate (with spacer as needed) over ring studs and attach with hardened washers and nuts.

5) Tighten ring stud nuts in crisscross sequence in stages to 40 ft.-lb. Use a wrench to hold center welded nut to prevent hub puller from turning as tightening stud nuts.

6) Repeat step five in 10 ft.-lb. increments until hub releases, or 60 ft.-lb. limit is reached.( I have yet to need more than 50).

7) If torque limit is reached without hub release, take a break and expect release under tension at any time.

8) In the event that the preceding steps do not release the hub, additional persuasion may be required, such as a mild tap with a hammer [on the inserted central bolt bottomed on the welded hex nut]. Use good judgement on the amount of force used to hit this fixture to limit damage to the axle threads, or internal axle components.

Axle shaft removal entails the use of a slide hammer on the welded nut after the hub is loosened and the axle shaft retaining bolts are removed.

WaltershubPuller2.gif

DISASSEMBLED UNIT

Another view, disassembled, to show the high strength threaded rods, and the relatively heavy gauge tubing.

Dan Walters

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Dan! .... That looks fairly straight forward .... looks like I'll have to give the fab a try when I get to the rear.

..... David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Dan .... I'm hoping to be done soon! .... maybe by summers end? ... at least before years end? ..... oh the plans "Of Mice and Men" :)

.... David

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
David, We have a member in AZ that said I have one. 520-971-0680 His SAOCA Handle is Skywords.