• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wiring harness 3-5

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, based on careful look at the wiring diagrams they are quite similar, with most of the basics the same. Here are some differences:

1) S3 has a generator and old regulator, S5 has alternator, Neg Gnd, and newer regulator system. It would take a while to sort out but not too difficult- similar to converting an S3 to use an Alt. Note that the harness on a S3 has a white wire directly to the Ign Warning lamp from the Ign Sw , but on an S5 that white wire to the warning lamp comes from the Fuse holder. That;s because:

2) On an S5 the 3rd white wire on the ign switch goes to power the tach . In addition, the 2nd white wire on the Ign switch goes to the coil ( same on both), BUT on an S5 it first loops thru thru the back of the tach. On both, the first white wire goes to the fuseholder. If you are trying to use a S3 harness for a S5 ( or vice versa) this would not be difficult to accommodate with a few mods or extra wires

3)On an S3 The OD lamp is wired thru the light switch for some reason. not so on an SV

4) on an S3 the heater is single speed and controlled by a switch on the Heater control slider. Power comes from the #4 terminal on Ign switch. S5 the power comes from same terminal but switch is way over to the left and has 2 wires from switch to blower. May not be in the main harness, not sure.

5) I'm not sure which lamps in the tail are tail, stop, flasher on each model so wire harness may not reach the right bulb if swapping harnesses. I doubt this is an issue but maybe.

6) I think the wiring for the front lamps are the same, even tho the light housing as are different

Tom

skywords

Donation Time
Last week I was looking through my storage shed and found my new harness I purchased ten plus Yeats ago and today went to retreave it now it is lost ARG!!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
SKY.... have no fear! You are 20 years younger than I so it will come much easier as to where you "last" placed it with the thought in mind, I'll put it right here so I can get to it when I'm ready to install:D

alpine_64

Donation Time
3)On an S3 The OD lamp is wired thru the light switch for some reason. not so on an SV

4) on an S3 the heater is single speed and controlled by a switch on the Heater control slider. Power comes from the #4 terminal on Ign switch. S5 the power comes from same terminal but switch is way over to the left and has 2 wires from switch to blower. May not be in the main harness, not sure.

Tom

Tom,

3. The od is wired via the light switch as the s3 had 3 resistors on the switch so that when you have the OD on at night with the headlights/panel it dims the OD warning lamp.

4. Are you sure the blower was single speed on series 3? Thev siv had 2 speed blower off the slider too... I thought I recall the s3 as the first 2 speed blower model..?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, thanks for te clarification. It made no sense to me to have the OD light turned OFF! But dimmer makes sense.

Regarding the blower speeds on an S3, the wiring diagram shows only one wire. AND as I recall on my S4, with the switch in the slider it is a simple On/Off switch not multi position. And not a very robust switch at that. I don't think I have ever seen or heard before of a two speed switch on the slider.

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Tom,

On late siv they definitely had the 2 speed blower, but by then they have the separate blower switch on the dash. The slider mounted switch has a habit of disintegrating , as a side note Healey's had a very similar part, that can be used as a substitute for the nla switch as used on si- early IV.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tom,
I have a guy here with a three that needs a harness. I have a five but told him I was not clear on all the differences other than the main two, Alternator and Tach.
He needs an engine also, so it might be a good alternative.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, Seems to me the five harness will do pretty nicely. Especially if he converts to an Alt and maybe even electronic tach. And even if he does not convert, the SV tach wiring will not be an issue. And it would not take much to wire it into a generator set up- maybe a couple extra wires under the hood.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, ( and Paul) , yes there is a slight difference in color of the wires connected to terminal 1 of the ignition switch (and to the headlight switch also). This is due to the difference in the Gen vs Alt control system. On an SV all the wires carrying current directly from the battery (non-switched and non-fused) are Brown. But in the S3 The Brown circuit only goes as far as the fuseholder and the Regulator. From the regulator to the Ign switch (and the headlight switch) the wires are all brown with blue tracer, so as to distinguish that slight difference, even though these wires (Brown or Brown /Blu) are always live. The SV harness should work pretty well in an S3.

Tom