• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

White hard tops

Limey

Donation Time
I Saw this pic on Ebay

Proof if any was needed that custom colours were available from the factory.

Love the wooden poles they are hung on. British cutting edge processes!
custom roof.png

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Your attachment isn't working at the moment.

By your post I assume you are implying that the hardtops were only black. From series 3 onwards the hardtops on all GT alpines as standard were matched to body colour. The ones sold as stock by dealers were black.

Any dealer would probably paint the top in any colour you wanted. You could probably order a matching colour top specifically ... Or indeed to have the car painted by special order in another rootes colour, but as general dealers just had black tops and GT matching tops.

Limey

Donation Time
Shame the pic won't load. Just a bit of B&W early series history

The factory pic is of early series roofs and shows a rack of 30 odd of them all black except a lone white one

custom roof.png

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Limey it's now there but tiiiiiny thumbnail. I can see the lighter coloured top. There is a series I press shotvwith a white/white car.

As a side note , the factory race cars that ran at Sebring with the white hardtops were actually black tops that had white painted over them . you can still see the black on the rear rail. Assume they decided it would be cooler for the drivers in the Florida race

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Michael, I found the POST by Limey interesting on the Colour....

I have a '65 SIV that was purchased by PO of the Code 70 Maroon, He ordered the car while stationed in the UK.

The Hard Top was also matched to the body. I do love the colour also.

Now, with my '67 Commodore Blue 106 I have Hard Top that is Black. A very nice contrast.:D IIMSSMS.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
From what I understand, and I can't tell from the picture as it does not enlarge when I click on it, that the factory hardtop came in black. The only exception that I'm aware of is on GT Alpines. They matched the cars color.

Just like Jaguar, I'm sure if you paid for a certain color, they'd paint it for you.
Cheers!
Steve

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a 1961 Sunbeam Alpine ad "when it rains, it purrs" with a Series II that is white with a white hard top. That is why I painted mine to match, I like the look.
IMG_2948-L.jpg

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
My hardtop came with the car painted an eggshell white color. I think it looks good with the Wedgwood blue...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 38

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
White Hood now!

Vickie the 64 series IV Alpine build as a GT had the hood matching moonstone blue. Picked sapphire blue GM paint as the color I wanted and then I painted the hood white. The hood has been on the 3 or 4 times I drive Vickie as a convertible.

Donna
:D

Attachments

• before 1989.jpg
    before 1989.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 48

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Here she is with the white Hood!
Vickie the 64 series IV Alpine build as a GT had the hood matching moonstone blue. Picked sapphire blue GM paint as the color I wanted and then I painted the hood white. The hood has been on the 3 or 4 times I drive Vickie as a convertible.

Donna
:D

Attachments

• white ht.JPG
    white ht.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
From what I understand, and I can't tell from the picture as it does not enlarge when I click on it, that the factory hardtop came in black. The only exception that I'm aware of is on GT Alpines. They matched the cars color.

Just like Jaguar, I'm sure if you paid for a certain color, they'd paint it for you.
Cheers!
Steve

That's my point - the crappy shot shows a white (special order) early and therefore non GT series hard top. So you can have a colour matched lid and still be period original which I think is a good thing.

Oliver

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Not done ... needs a little rubbin' .... My 2 two bit's worth! ....

........ David

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 25